I do that occasionally, buzz, and it does help when things do not seem to be uniform. But, I shot it enough times to be sure, then numbered and photographed the patterns. Every shot, every time, from the right barrel crossed the point of convergence and patterned left. And, vice versa. EVERY time. I'm aware of the possibility of flinching, and shoot most all my patterns from the sitting position. If I see something with a gun I am concerned about I then shoot the same gun several times offhand, to more closely approximate how we hold a shotgun when shooting at game. I've been patterning shotguns most of my life, but only in the past 6 months or so began using my own grease plate. I previously used a friend's plate about 15 miles away.

BTW, I've never seen a noticeable difference in where the patterns went between offhand shooting and sitting position. It's just that I can hold and squeeze the trigger much better sitting. Squeezing a shotgun trigger is not a normal thing, and I have to "fight" to do it. It took me quite awhile to transition from bullseye pistol and target competition to shotgun competition, and trigger control was a major part of it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Sure wish Chuck would check in and tell us how much he was able to move the patterns on his gun.

Happy Independence Day! LET FREEDOM RING!!!

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.