It has everything to do with the decision, IMO. It's his gun. Who else has the right or authority to decide if it "is a good idea"? You? The gun is not more important than the owner's wishes. The owners enjoyment is more important than what some self-appointed purist's idea of what he should be allowed to do with his own property. It's just an object, to be used and enjoyed by the person who owns it. The world will not be altered one way or the other by what he does to his shotgun. Opening chokes to suit your needs/wants is not a "stupid modification". "Stupid modifications" are things like 12" forcing cones and backboring, thinking either will reduce recoil.
I thought the Mona Lisa HAD a mustache! Her mother did. JMO, of course.
Originally Posted By: GregSY
Who cares if you will use it more if you modify it or plan to sell it any time soon? That has nothing to do with whether or not it is a good idea to open the chokes.

How many people sit around years later peering at their (insert your item of pride and joy) and say, 'Well, If I'da known it woulda been worth so much someday I'da never (insert your choice of stupid modification)?

The gun is far more important than some miscellaneous owner's miscellaneous need to place fewer pellets in a circle at 40 yards, or to not have to bend his neck 1 more centimeter, or to have a slightly softer surface to place against his shoulder when shooting.

I am sure there are those who would buy the Mona Lisa, were she for sale, and finally fix that glaring omission of a mustache.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 07/17/07 10:52 AM.

> Jim Legg <