It is really eye opening to shoot patterns at over 40 yards. I have patterned my regular sporting clays load, 1 1/8 oz. at 1180 fps, at 45 yards and walked away scratching my head at how inadequate it looked. Yet, I run stations with 45 yard birds all the time ....... 4 for 4. Last two rounds I shot the course had been reset by a member who wanted to toughen it up a bit. Station 2 had a bird that was launched from the far side of about a three acre pond, very high, and landed in the pond at 50 yards. It had to be broken near the top, while it was above the trees and had a blue sky background, which put it at somewhere around 60 yards at the break point. I shoot two fixed .020" chokes, and it broke every time I got the lead right, 2 out of 3.

Could it have slipped through a hole in the pattern at 60 yards? I have no doubt. But, it is amazing how often it doesn't. When you get the lead right, it's usually a dead bird.

I know that sounds self-contradictory, but I still strive for the absolute best patterns I can deliver.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 07/27/17 08:29 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.