September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (earlyriser, Perry M. Kissam, Birdog, LGF, 2 invisible), 227 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,924
Posts550,768
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

How would anyone know my 32" gun with improved cylinder in both barrels was somehow modified from original? Dunno. Parker research information usually includes pattern data, so expert barrel work does not always hide a modern modification.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Erik, on a Parker it is a pretty straightforward determination. Parker chokes did not have parallels at the muzzle. Instead, the choke taper extends to the exact muzzle. Any opening creates a parallel in these.

John McCain is my war hero.
jas Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have the opposite problem on a Lefever, the chokes are too open. Can they be tightened? It is a nice CE with 26 barrels great fun to shoot, light to carry, and the local pheasants love it but the gun can not hit anything except skeet coming at me on station 1.

Currently own two Morgan cars. Starting on Black Powder hunting to advoid the mob of riflemen.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That wasn't so bad. Thanks Joe.

A Springer Spaniel, a 6# double and a fair day to hunt.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The few(too few) Parkers I've owned did have parallel sections of 1/2" or more in what I'm sure were the original chokes. The Lefevers I've observed had a continuous taper, from the beginning of the choke(not the entire length of the barrel to the muzzle. Not what I've seen on Parkers.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

In many cases, the way a Parker left the "dusty little plant down in Meriden" is a matter of record and available in the form of a research letter from the Parker Gun Collector's Association. Such things as stock dimensions, barrel length, chamber length, pellet count per barrel in a 30" circle (those things that are usually the victims of modification)are often available in the letter. A subsequent owner or prospective buyer has this information available to him either before the sale or after. In either case, that's how anyone would ever know. And these things are the cause of reduced value of an otherwise "untouched" Parker.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JoeWood
Your information regarding parallels at the muzzle is incorect. Parker chokes from Parker Bros. in Meriden Ct were "ogee" with about a quarter inch or so of parallel at the muzzles. Remington subsequently used their own choke formula after the mid-thirties and that's about when the parallel feature ended.

Larry S Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

WOW I am not worthy, just wanted to down a grouse for my Setter. I might just buy a spanish gun, no one seems to care much about them. ( I do like the idea of using polywad spreaders, I have been using RST's but sure would a little more open pattern) Thanks Larry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry,

My opinions are not worth any more than anyone else's, but, here they are. I fall in with the ones who say leave a HIGH condition one alone, but only if it is truly HIGH condition. They are the ones the collectors really want badly. If you want to use the gun yourself for what you said, and intend to keep it, open'em up. Maybe not as much as you're thinking, though. You can always take more out, but you can't put it back.

As for the highly touted spreader loads, they are just that. BUT, they will not open a mod. or full choked gun into a decent woodcock gun, as one suggested. Unless one has the opportunity to pass-shoot high flying migrations. They absolutely will not. I have tried many, many different spreader loads. Some store bought, some I loaded myself using short wads, post wads, x-dividers, soda-straws in the shot, and combinations of the above. I've NEVER found one that would reliably pattern well and open the pattern up any more than the equivalent of about .010" constriction. And this is at their BEST. So, the full barrel might shoot as open as modified, and the mod. barrel might shoot as open as improved cylinder. Might, I stress. If that's enough, then spreaders are all you need, and you've saved money on top of preserving the "sanctity" of a Parker.

I, not being a purist collector, might even pay a bit MORE for a gun in which the chokes had been modified, if they were more useful to me. I rather believe there are more buyers out there who feel like me about that than ones who are purist Parker collectors. And lets face it, not many of us has any need for full chokes in 20 guage guns today, anyway. Oh yeah, except purist collectors who can stare at it in the safe and say, "It's all original!".

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very well said, Stan! Your experience with spreader loads is valuable, too. They are not magic, will not turn Full/full into skeet/skeet. They are a pain to make and expensive.
A Parker or any other desirable gun that is not in very high original condition is not worthy of the sacred "leave it alone" commandments so freely handed down from "those on high". It still is, and always was, your call, Larry.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 07/17/07 07:48 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.