Originally Posted By: OH Osthaus
Originally Posted By: pamtnman
OH, as you know, the NW coast of Scotland is really rugged. Those slopes covered in broken boulders, hummocks, etc. Reading the family's game logs, year after year, is really educational, because they lost a lot of big stags to cliff falls. I guess I am going to see how it all turns out. Being a romantic has its cost.

I assume that means a accidental death of the beast

grin but second stag I took went off a cliff-

The ghillie had doubted I could get a shot at him with several hinds offering extra eyes- I studied the hill and found a route that mostly kept a large rock between us- when i go to the rock I rolled to one side and fell into a prone position with a 75 yard broadside side shot which i quickly took-

when i pulled the gun down from the recoil - there was no sight of him, the ghillie took the rifle and went left to a copse of small trees expecting a wounded stag to have gone down hill to cover. I went right to see if he went over the hill, we met back at the middle neither of us finding any trail. I shook my head and said i could not believe i could have missed that shot. As we talked the ghille walked around looking for blood and then laughed and called me over to look over the edge, there the stag was, 50 feet below. I guess he was right on the edge and the shot had pushed him sideways

fortunately, the shot was on the spot and he landed dead in soft bog and damage was limited

that stalk left me with a great memory

Great story, OH! From the old estate books I read, the death-by-cliff occurred after the shot. Seems the deer were really hugging the steep areas, and the hunters went after them. "Smashed" is a word that reappears over and over, year after year, with some famous hunters, too.

NRA Life
FOAC Life
PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Life
PA Trappers Association Life