May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jimmy W, Dan R), 356 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,563
Posts546,355
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm envious of all of your reports. Drove from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh and back this weekend and didn't see a dozen birds the entire trip. Remnants of Harvey came through on Saturday and I guess that drove the birds off.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Had something I've never had on Dovess before, poachers. My fourth field was being shot the third day when I was at another field about thirty miles away. Home owner across the road called the game warden because they were shooting towards his house from less than they should be. Shiot was hitting his house and his truck.

Game warden is a friend of mine. You have all kinds of friends when you get older. Called my cell phone to tell me of my shooting too close and that he would be by to check if we were moved to a safe distance. When I told him I was shooting another field on the next county and no one had permission to shoot that field he said he go straight there. Ended up with six "hunters" who claimed they had permission to hunt this field. When he asked who have it to them they didn't know my name. None had written permission so they each got a ticket. Then they left. They also left trash where they parked. I hate slobs in the field.

Before we shot the field the next day we walked it over carefully to make sure no one had returned later to spread a area of bait. Found nothing. It bugs me people would just walk in and shoot a place like they owned it or did all they work. I did not see them helping when I had my big butt in that tractor bush hogging weeds, wheat and sunflowers when it was 90+ degrees.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon, in GA we have a hunting without permission regulation that specifies a license revocation for the 2nd offense. One thing about a redneck is they (we) may have little self respect, but they dearly value their huntin' license! Of course, you've got to be willing to prosecute.

I entered my middle GA farm into an enhanced enforcement agreement with the GA DNR. It provides that I will prosecute and that they will patrol on a regular basis. I rent the property to a deer hunting club and they advise that the GW is practically a regular around the camp...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon, I hope they were cleared out early enough to limit impact on the birds. Hopefully you had a good shoot despite their earlier presence. That would burn me up. Folks pay big bucks in time and money to get a field right for dove. Those were some nervy jerks to do what they did. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

By the fourth day Doves have been educated somewhere. We had a decent shoot and I doubt the 20-30 birds they killed changed our shoot that much. They each got tickets plus they have the problem of hunting on posted land which makes it worse for them. I think the game warden knew several of them and was very, very happy to catch them. It did piss me off that they failed to pickup atleast half a dozen dead birds we found the next day. Shame the game warden didn't see it so he could add wanton waste to the tickets. Slobs and Aholes have no place hunting in my book or anywhere I hunt.

What I worry about is that the neighbor, the landowner and the farmer who tends the rest of the farm could have easily figured I was the idiot who was shooting too close to a house, left more than a trash bag full of trash where they parked and never bothered to pick up any shells they shot. That would cost me any chance for a next year and my name would be mud in that area.

When I leave a field it is as clean or cleaner than I found it. I don't like people who leave trash on my farms and won't allow it. Everyone gets two white trashy bags. One for birds and one for every empty shells and every peice I'd litter they find. In fact I tell them you are not six anymore if you see trash pick it up even if it's not yours. I've had more than one farmer remark that when I finished the lease it was cleaner than they'd ever seen it. Even empties from last season are to be picked up. Good manners are in short supply these days and your reputation once lost is never regained.
Originally Posted By: GLS
Jon, I hope they were cleared out early enough to limit impact on the birds. Hopefully you had a good shoot despite their earlier presence. That would burn me up. Folks pay big bucks in time and money to get a field right for dove. Those were some nervy jerks to do what they did. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was fortunate to scratch down 13 birds on day one in the northern NC Piedmont. My old EC Green O/U was not choked tightly enough (at least that is my excuse) as most birds presented at about 40 yards and seemed to know the limit of my range.

Our group took 40 birds all together and they went on the charcoal grill shishkebob style, after sufficient marination in BBQ sauce, and were served medium rare to an appreciative family who thereupon excused our absence from family activities and pronounced the repast delectable.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot 12 times all weekend and knocked down 7 birds. Very, very poor numbers of birds, but then that's been the trend here of late. I'm not so sure we may end up just not bothering going forward.

It really is sad compared to the halcyon days of my youth and young adult days afield after doves beginning in the early '60's and all through the rest of the last millennium, especially considering how much I do love it.

Looking back, I suppose I have had more than my fair share.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Been working all day and just got in and read of your problem with the poachers, Jon. I have had the same thing to happen to a field I was letting the dove numbers build up in, about a half mile from my house. I heard shooting and drove over there to find two strangers about two hundred yards apart on stools on the edge of the field. When I approach people like this I always slip on a light jacket and have my .45 in my hand in the pocket, unseen. I did so and told one fellow they were on private land, mine, and they needed to leave. He looked a bit resistant, and looked over at his buddy who started my way. I turned slightly so he could see what was in my hand, and the attitude changed dramatically. He claimed he thought he was on a WMA that is 8 miles away. I did not prosecute, as I would have had to hold them there for probably an hour until a warden could get there, but they have never been back.

I need to get my local warden's cell number. He had been a friend for a long time, but I never asked for it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yesterday afternoon was a repeat of Saturday ....... in location only. I was using a 20 instead of the .410 and it's a good thing. Doves were few on my end of the field, and I had to stretch the 20 to get what I did, though the boys on the other end of our field were wearing them out. Crazy how much it can change in two days. Saturday, my end of the field was as good as anywhere else.

Anyway, with some concerted effort for about 2 1/2 hrs. I managed to scratch 14, going six straight at one stretch. I did make one very pretty double. I saw two coming together, straight toward me, and sat motionless until they were about 25 yards out. I made my move and they saw me and flared slightly to my right. I killed the first bird with the modified barrel then quickly pulled on the second with the IC barrel. They were both dead in the air (DITA) and hit the ground about 12 feet, and maybe one second, apart.

I think taking a double like that is one of the most satisfying things you can do on a dove shoot. Especially if you have several witnesses. wink

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 09/05/17 09:25 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
mel5141 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I feel like my Dove hunts have been struggles compared to "normal" openings around here, but it sounds like I should count my blessings.....
Talking to other, experienced shooters of my acquaintance I have fared rather well......Weather ( fronts, squall line, thunderstorms=, unseasonably cool nights) have all played Jake with the normal around here....
Just came in from shooting a field I had partially shredded two weeks ago..... Good numbers of birds, larger migrants for the most part. Challenging afternoon, but a limit secured in 20+ mph northeast wind made this first sundowner taste a little better.....Not often that I leave the field in the first week of the season and see a temperature in the 70's on the truck display.....

Hope it holds together for those who have it , and improves for those missing out...
The note regarding John's poacher problem is disturbing.....Do these thieves think that well prepared field just happened by accident, and was prepared for them.....

I have just about zeroed out the poaching in this part of the county.... Really great Warden, and super relationship with the County Judge pretty much keep it from happening....

Best of luck to all !

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.