September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jtplumb, SKB, Marshgrass, Vol423, 1 invisible), 550 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,840
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Before everything else, I know that condition is utmost in determining value.
This is a 1909 damascus barrel 2e grade; the "e" designating ejectors. It is nearly a hundred years old and looks old. But not abused, not hunted heavily with. The stock may have the original finish on it, yet, it may be a very old refinish. It has a deteriorated red rubber pad. The receiver "may" have a wee bit of case color remaining, but it's difficult to tell because of the overall patina. The receiver is engraved with a cute little quail.
The damascus bbls show a nice pattern, no dents or bulges, and the insides look beautiful. Here's the kicker; it has a second set of L.C. Smith steel bbls, in fine condition.
I do not have any pictures.
Help me out. What might this be worth?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are the second set of bbls numbered to the gun? Have either set of bbls been cut?What gauge is it? People far smarter than me should be along to help, but they will need that info and probably more to help you out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Guessing at the condition, I would guess about $1600 unless the barrels are matching, then more.

Please give the barrel markings for quality

Last edited by Pete; 07/21/07 08:52 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The underside of the steel brls should have marks like this

Interestingly, the brls shown have 'Crown' on one, and 'Nitro' on the other. They could also be stamped 'ARMOR'

Sidelock
Sidelock

I notice they are marked "U.S.Pat.OFF"...What kind of U.S. Patent could those barrels hold ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe: both Nitro and Crown trade marks were registered; the Armor, Royal, London, and Special steel names were not registered as trade marks.
BBB: any markings on the damascus brls? a 'BD' perhaps?

Last edited by revdocdrew; 07/21/07 10:41 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all your help so far.
No, the bbls are not cut; neither set. The steel bbls are numbered to the gun; have markings similar to those in the above picture. This is all by memory & I can not remember any specific markings on the damascus bbls; cant say I remember a BD marking. Cant say it wasnt there either.
The ejectors work well on both sets of bbls.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To make the sale more valuable I would get a letter from the Cody Museum and contact David Kennedy http://www.bbhc.org/firearms/records.cfm
If the gun came from Hunter Arms with two sets of barrels I think that would make it worth more than if it was shipped back and had another set made for it at a later time. The letter should state whom the gun was sent to and what it came through with. I believe the letter cost $55.00.
Any older "elsie" especially with ejectors and an extra barrel is always a great find and in un-finished condition with no major faults could be worth $2500 up. It is like you said condition is everything. Good, sharp bright pictures, showing everything, is critical to selling, if the person cannot see it in person.
Good luck

David

I'd also suggest posting on the L.C. Smith Collector's site. They will have oddles of info, +++ interest in purchasing. Best, Dr. Bill

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

JDW, I am aware that documentation my be in some cases to be a positive value influncing factor. However, I am not trying to determine value in order to sell. It is being offered for sale. Suffice it to say it caught my eye.
Not to start up the age old proposition again, but, it is, in the finest upland gauge of 16. Being a 1909, it is noticable heavier than a featherweight; at first pick-up, it seemed it would be a joy to shoot.
A 1909 L. C. Smith 16 gauge 2E grade with one set of 26" damascus bbls, one set of 28" numbered to the gun factory steel barrels. Ejectors work well on both barrel sets.
It's is about a hundred miles away from me; saw it once. Do not have any pictures; didnt measure bbl thickness or chokes, though both sets looked dandy.
Any opinions other than 1600/2500?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.