Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I don't plan to buy any 2" 12ga guns, but somehow creeping age and open heart surgery has gotten me somewhat recoil sensitive. I'm using my 20ga guns more often. I shot a 20ga Rem 11-87 for ducks in Sask this year and it was alright. I think next year I'm going over to Herters low recoil for my 12ga sxs guns...Geo

I actually have a 3" 20 gauge Italian boxlock double that tips the scales at 6 1/2lbs, or so. I would have dismissed it, out of hand, 20 seasons ago, but, dang, if it isn't a comfortable gun to shoot with standard ammunition. It actually handles almost the same as a Spanish 12 gauge boxlock I own, also chambered for 3" ammunition, that I'm not brave enough to feed 3" magnum 12 gauge stuff to. Both were designed for 3" ammunition, but, most days, I am not. I haven't shot at a duck in most of 40 seasons.
20 gauge guns always seemed pretty lethal on upland game to me. I'm thinking that right around the time plastic shot cups replaced felt wads, the difference between a 20 gauge and a 2 1/2" twelve became moot.
I have inherited a ton of 3" 12 and 20 ammunition. I suspect someone is going to inherit it all from me, someday.

Best,
Ted