June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (bigblock, Jimmy W, Tom Bryant, Lloyd3), 188 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,636
Posts547,236
Members14,433
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great thread, guys! It may not be necessary to add this, but anyone on this board interested in diving into the MF Ideal pool would be well advised to consult some of our residient afficionados. Canvasback and Wingshooter16 were enormously helpful to me in acquiring a superb 16-bore. Ted S. has been an equally helpful and generous resource on all things Darne.

Also, it might be worth naming a few gunsmiths who are intimately familiar with the minutiae of working on these eccentric French doubles. Two I've used with complete confidence and satisfaction are JJ Perodeau and Geoffroy Gournet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since this is a thread on Ideals I have had an incident that may have some bearing on those considering an Ideal with lunette triggers.

A few weeks ago while hunting pheasant I had my Ideal with lunette triggers slam fire. Fortunately no injury except to the slough mud at my feet. Thank goodness the dogs were off to one side and my feet where they should be.

In a controlled situation I tried to replicate the slam fire but could not. I suspected that one of the triggers may have been only partly engaged and was jarred with the closing of the gun. I very carefully inspected the triggers and tried to see if I could get one to only partly engage while cocking the gun but could not. Perhaps there was some foreign object in the trigger guards while loading the gun that I didn't see and it when flying somewhere when the gun discharged. Unless it happens again I may never know the reason.

Last edited by Tamid; 11/05/17 12:48 PM.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

That's spooky. Keep trying to see if you can get an answer. My experience with Ideals is limited to discovering neither I, nor anyone else, can hit anything with a good friends copy. To be fair, said gun has about 48 points of choke in both barrels, and won't be in any way altered.

It may be time for a good strip and clean.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

The "Lunette" trigger guard looks cool, but it was abandoned for practicality reasons in 1910 and never revived. That same year saw the introduction of "double safety triggers" designed to prevent recoil-induced discharges. As near as I can make out from the French-language description, pulling either trigger blocks the striker of the other barrel. It doesn't sound like this spontaneous discharge was associated with a deliberate shot, so I have no idea if the newer trigger mechanism would have helped. +1 on Ted's suggestion to get it to someone who really knows these guns for a strip clean & inspection. Good to hear you & pups are okay!

Bill

Last edited by billwolfe; 11/05/17 02:05 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wingshooter16-Here ya go. Lousy cell phone photo but you get the idea. No. 205, 27 1/2" barrels. 5 lbs. 14 oz.

Still need a rear swivel, the large eye type for hooks I guess. I have been looking for a new safety, as the right side tab is broken off. I have found them on the french gun site but haven't ordered one yet.

Tamid #494054 11/05/17 06:22 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tamid
Since this is a thread on Ideals I have had an incident that may have some bearing on those considering an Ideal with lunette triggers.

A few weeks ago while hunting pheasant I had my Ideal with lunette triggers slam fire. Fortunately no injury except to the slough mud at my feet. Thank goodness the dogs were off to one side and my feet where they should be.

In a controlled situation I tried to replicate the slam fire but could not. I suspected that one of the triggers may have been only partly engaged and was jarred with the closing of the gun. I very carefully inspected the triggers and tried to see if I could get one to only partly engage while cocking the gun but could not. Perhaps there was some foreign object in the trigger guards while loading the gun that I didn't see and it when flying somewhere when the gun discharged. Unless it happens again I may never know the reason.

David, I have forgotten the particulars but I recall you having a problem with this gun(?) while it was in the care of a specific smith I'm not naming here and now. Have I got that right and is it possible some negligent action by the smith may have contributed to the problem? Perhaps not all is right in the innards!

Just a thought.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just as an aside, and everyone is free to have their own opinion, but much as I like Ideals and having bought a number of them, I will not buy, no matter the grade, gauge or condition, a "lunette" Ideal.

Silly idea, silly execution and poor to use. Manufrance "grew up" when they ditched them during the period 1907-1909.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hammergun

Wingshooter16-Here ya go. Lousy cell phone photo but you get the idea. No. 205, 27 1/2" barrels. 5 lbs. 14 oz.

Still need a rear swivel, the large eye type for hooks I guess. I have been looking for a new safety, as the right side tab is broken off. I have found them on the french gun site but haven't ordered one yet.

Lovely choice on the blank- looks right at home.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

James,

One in the same gun, one in the same gunsmith The smith was only to play with the wood but who knows.

Contrary to you and my incident I quite enjoy the lunette triggers and have had no other problems. I do admit the safety feature is greatly flawed in design and execution.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hammergun

Very nice piece of wood. Here are some swivel studs. I assume you have the Nap hat to attach to fitting on the barrel.Gil
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/887160...=ProductFinding

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.