Like others here I have successfully been able add a set of barrels to a gun (20ga LC Smith 5E). I paid for it because I wanted a two sets of barrels and the cost of the donor gun with good barrels was acceptable to. In the end it worked but was not ideal and having a forend to go with the barrels to be added helped.

I admire the gunsmithing skills of those like SKB and Keith who have actually done it.

In answer to the thread question can orphan barrels be fitted, yes, but with skilled hands, and perhaps great costs as others have already stated.

I believe as SKB stated “possible yes, but not likely.” re some Purdey barrels applies to most orphaned barrel options

Do not agree whatsoever with Ed’s generic statement
Originally Posted By: ed good
experience has proven the following guns are more likely to interchange barrels:

fox sterlingworth...............

My experience with Fox Sterlingworth guns has not shown that, at all.

I believe you really have to want to fit a orphaned set or new set and you can afford the price immaterial of recovering your investment. Adding barrels is either out of love for bringing a gun back or making it more versatile, but it is sunk money you will not get back.

That said, I still dream of adding a set of barrels to my Purdey 16ga, despite the fact the current tubes are still good and the likelihood of finding an orphaned set is zero and Bill Blacker barrels are beyond my purse for the time being.

Last edited by old colonel; 11/29/17 11:04 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS