June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (AGS, eeb, MattH, HistoricBore, 2 invisible), 242 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,630
Posts547,173
Members14,431
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The original loading was 140 gr. bullet at 1400 fps, for 610 ft. lbs. That is a good deal more energy than the .32-20, and the .25-20, both of which are legal cartridges for whitetails in many states. I once read that more whitetails had been killed with the .22 LR than with any other single cartridge, and that it was the poacher's round of choice because of the low report. I cannot stand behind that as being true, but the point remains that, in the hands of a cool shot, a very low energy round will do the job every time when the bullet is precisely placed. And, a much higher energy bullet, poorly placed, will allow deer to escape wounded.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Owenjj3 #496774 12/04/17 11:27 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Owenjj3
The Purdey is actually the better finished gun with nice large scroll all the way around. It is in pristine original condition. I even have its original case with every accessory!Fortunately I was able to source some ammunition from Rocky Mountain cartridge. Despite the low velocity, at short range they are amazingly accurate on small game.

I would love to see a photo of the case and accessories if you don't mind?

Some of the most accurate ammo in the world is low velocity but consistent...bullseye, Olympic match rimfire, etc. Rook ammo can be very accurate if kept at good tolerances and used in high quality barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen, my very non-original comment is....

It's the bullet that does the work. Not the cartridge, not the kinetic energy, but the bullet.

Handloading resources for that 'anemic' cartridge on the interweb indicate that good hunting bullets that will properly upset and expand are available in that diameter or can be sized to work.

This is a double rifle, so presumably you have the fastest possible second shot available. Double rifles are traditionally employed at short ranges.

A caliber with the energy of a .357 should be entirely adequate for deer at 50 yards when loaded with a good bullet.

Pal of mine did just that with a 4" barrel S&W a few years back. The guy is a well practiced pistol shot. He double actioned the second shot immediately after the first. They landed within inches of each other. Dead deer.

This rifle would be tons of fun to load for and hunt with.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know bullets of all types can theoretically kill most game. Some have more margin of error than others. Nearly 40 years ago I dispatched a very large, very nasty Brown bear with a .270 at close dueling range. It was.charging, I had a .270 looking for a moose and stumbled across a bear at less than 100 feet. Instead of running away, like I wished it would, it came straight at me. Brown bears tend not to run off like Black bears I learned. One shot, right into the eye and into the brain. Lights out. Absolutely dumb luck on my part. Two more seconds and I was going to be mauled by a bear or bear scat in the next morning.

So from that point on I have a very strict rule of using more than enough gun for what I am shooting at. I don't take a .458 to shoot tree rats but would if there were pachyderms in the woods.

Shotgunjones #496884 12/05/17 06:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
Gentlemen, my very non-original comment is....

It's the bullet that does the work. Not the cartridge, not the kinetic energy, but the bullet.

Handloading resources for that 'anemic' cartridge on the interweb indicate that good hunting bullets that will properly upset and expand are available....

Anythings possible, but.... That .357 you referred to probably had a modern jacketed bullet expending its energy in the deer. My preference would be to only have lead ride through that bore. Just for grins, whatever pushed it along, the bullet is still pretty anemic. I'd vote for no expansion and see if it could get a little deeper into the game. The fellow that paid to have that rig made up, probably had a massive estate with game keepers and might have shot a deer or two with his tiger rifle among others.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I'm sure that there isn't a lot of 300 Sherwood cartridges sitting around at Walmart getting ready for the next big sellathon there so you're going to have to reload.

Load them up with a big fat charge of Trip 7 and have at it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting info about the 300 Sherwood,

"In 1900, Greener introduced a cartridge called the .310 Cadet and a year later, Westley Richards came out with a lengthened version of the 300 Rook cartridge which they named the .300 Sherwood. Kynoch, who loaded ammunition for it, called it the .300 Extra Long. "The .300 Sherwood launched a 140-grain bullet at 1,400 fps, a considerable gain over the .300 Rook (80 grains, 1,100 fps) but a slight gain over the 310 Cadet (120 grains, 1,530 fps). (The Greener round developed more energy at 624 ft/lbs to 610 ft/lbs.)

http://www.ammo-one.com/300Sherwood.html

http://www.ammo-one.com/British-310Cadet.html

http://www.ammo-one.com/British-300-295Rook.html

However, the case of the 300 Sherwood being 1.54 inches to the 310 Cadet of 1.075 inch you have considerably more case capacity to load the round up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, and you can de-lead the barrels and use some thin jacket bullets and make a halfway decent rifle out of it.

Take a zero off the price, and I'm all in.

It would be a fun project.

People make up double rifles in all kinds of stupid calibers just for the playtoy aspect.

I'm waiting for someone to make a production operation out of extra barrels sets for popular shotguns, like Brownings and Berettas. There has to be a market.

I'd buy a 32 Win Spec set in a heartbeat if I could simply snap it on a 20 gauge Citori or 680 series gun.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

The cased .255 Purdey per request.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful. Thanks for posting it.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.