September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (buckstix, Drew Hause, 2 invisible), 369 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,873
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Winchester 97 Trench gun from WWI.

I grew up shooting this gun and a model 12 20ga for rabbits and phesants. I could see why someone thinks of a 97 as fearsom.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It was the Model 97 trench gun that the germans feared, I believe, according to the History Channel. Let's get back on the subject. I am sure there are many good memories out there. Chops

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes Sir !!!
I already apologized.:}
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As usual Mr. Mann you are correct it was the Model 97 that the Germans thought 'Barbaric'!!! Ah Chopper we are on topic I believe, why in the midst of the coveted 12 gauge era did Winchester unveil its mighty Model 12 in 20 gauge!!! A proverbial slap in the face to the 12 gauge or was it the era of the 12 gauge???
All the best

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh yes, Ole' Santa. Lets get back on topic: '...there isn't anything you can do with the 20 that cannot be accomplished with twice the efficacy swinging a 12. If you want to argue the matter of weight. I'll produce a 6 pound 12; the average 20 these days runs 61/2 pounds. And on the score of cartridge I'll find a 12-gauge cartridge, that runs a mere 2 inches for length and poops out a trifling 1 ounce of shot.'
PS. There is a thread on SSBBS regarding 20br 'Knockabout'. I wish I could help him buy a 12br and save some $. I mean, those Belgian Francotte 'Keeper Grade' guns are already light enough in 12 br, so why pay extra and get less pooh?
Herr Mann, perhaps you could post there. I think they finally canned me!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wish I could think of an intro line that would answer the SSBBS query. Can't, so won't start a new thread on that subject. Haven't posted there is a long time. Too many friends and friendly enemies have been sent to Coventry. Soon they will have no seasoning in their duck soup.
Now to the topic.
The idea of why so many small gauge vintage (how I hate that word when not used with wine !!!) SxSs were built, sold and are still around is very interesting. I have stated that , in my thinking, it was a Cultural thing when the guns were new.
The game of Skeet then came along and kept the ball rolling for all but the 16 gauge.
As to why guys want these smaller guns, I can only assume is the reason that I have some. They are neat and one needs them to fill out the collection.
I can't agree that the 410 is short of poop when used in the right place and on the right game at the right distance. I think, in the hands of a superb wingshot, at 20/25 yards, it is about as elegant as can be. Many pen raised ring necks and many more quail have been taken with them. Let's agree that the shooter MUST be of high caliber, though.
I think I may go now and bury this horse.:}
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I picked up an American Gun Co. .410 Midget-framed hammer gun a few years ago... Cute little thing...Anyone have any early memories about learning to shoot with one of these Hardware store treasures?..........

Sidelock
Sidelock

Found this old thread on google. Oddly, I had not read it before. Even more odd that Ortolan did not mention that he, I, and others we know own 28 gauge Parkers that came from the William Wagner establishment in Washington. In the early days of Parker promotion of the "new" 28 gauge, Wagner probably ordered a good percentage of the total output of 28 gauge guns from the Parker Brothers. Some Wagner orders for a couple of dozen Parkers of mixed size and configuration included a half dozen or more 28s.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill-I hope your still enjoying that 28. To think it almost lived behind a truck seat as a rabbit gun. I bought the GH 12 from Doug and shoot it often. We both ended up with great guns.Thanks for being a good guy to my friends.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My late old friend Henry Thomas of Federal Oak Farm, Charles County, Maryland, passed his Father's Quail gun on to me in the late 1980s --

I'm guessing the Thomas family English Setters must have held Mr. Bob plenty close for this cylinder bore 28-gauge.

Here is the page for low end smallbores from the 1912 SD&G catalogue --

Here are some other catalogue pages for little guns prior to WW-I --

Last edited by Researcher; 05/14/10 07:18 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.