Close shots are what is fun anyway. If I had the need to, and was willing to ignore regulations, I could very easily keep my freezer full of venison year 'round with nothing but a .22 LR, and never wound one. Pinpoint placement on head shots inside 25 yds. are very doable. Think about it, if you can head shoot squirrels out of the top of tall trees, there's no reason you can't put a lead pill in a deer's brain. The skill required to do that is mostly being able to place yourself in that close proximity to a deer without it knowing you're there. Bowhunters do it every day.

A close friend of mine killed two does with one shot three days ago, with intentional head shots. He wanted two of them and waited patiently until their heads were in line and close together. Then he placed the bullet so that it passed through the first one's head and took the one behind cleanly, too.

The sad commentary is that a large percentage of people in the woods with rifles can't keep their bullets on a pie plate at 100 yds. offhand. And flinch so badly because of the fear of muzzle blast and recoil that they can't do a whole lot better off a rest.

We use a .300 Blackout for hog work at night, using thermal scopes, whereby we position ourselves downwind and slip right up on them and, taking a knee or sitting, place the bullet right behind the ear. No fight. That is using 110 gr. loads at around 2100. Not what most would consider a hog round, but it works mighty good for us.

Bullet placement is not important ........................ it is everything!!!!!

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.