September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (NTaxiarchis, 375whelenIMP, Replacement, Argo44, 3 invisible), 319 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,882
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hammergun, I am surely enjoying the 28 you found for me. It enjoys space with another 28 I have owned since 1960. Both of these guns originally came from the shop of William Wagner on Pennsylvania Avenue. Further research finds that the little gun with blued receiver was the seventh 28 gauge ordered from Parker Brothers. Neither gun ever ventured more than a few miles in over 100 years. The little blue gun is 111 years old this year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill-You are fortunate to have two 28s. The important thing is that you treasure '032 like I knew you would. I think that both of the guns from Doug had the initials "WOS" on the shields. Any idea who that may have been?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 28 gauge has only "S" on the initial plate. I don't know who WOS could be. I always thought that the "S" was Norman Strebe's initial. Norman was a large gun dealer and gunsmithing entempreneur in nearby District Heights. His logo recoil pad is on the gun and the gun is restocked and refinished, something his shop specialized in. He was an important Parker and Fox collector and I thought this gun may have been his using bird gun. Your mention of the WOS initials on the GH grade Parker makes me think that my theory may be incorrect.

Sidelock
Sidelock

WO could have been a Strebe. Son, grandson, or nephew. Maybe he ended up with all of Norm's stuff. Doug said the widow had a large number of guns and no one in the family to pass them to.

Boxlock
Boxlock

"What kind of guys bought hardware store doubles in small gauges?
Ever wonder about that?" I know of one in particular:
In 1918 a tailor in SW PA surprised his 12 year old son at Christmas with a Fox Sterlingworth 20b. The boy? George Bird Evans.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My mother-in-law has her 20 Stevens double with the plastic stock from the late 40s. Her dad raised beagles and wanted her to hunt rabbits with him. It came from a hardware store on Long Island.
My neighbor got a Stevens 311 20 for quail hunting. His dad said he could get a bigger gun once he grew large enough.
My great grandfather bought a single shot .410 for my grandmother's brothers to hunt rabbits. If they got a rabbit, they got another shell. One uncle missed, got mad and busted the stock. We found the little gun still broken in the back of a closet 20 years ago and gave it to the surviving uncle.
Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like eightbore, I never got around to reading this thread until he "resurrected" it the other day.

Growing up in the South, and on a farm surrounded by plantations owned by well heeled gents, I saw firsthand a good many small gauge doubles that were used by bird hunters. Almost all were bought by a "financially comfortable" father and given to his son, or grandson, for quail and doves. My long gone quail hunting buddy from Augusta, who was about 40 years my senior, used a graded Parker that his father purchased at Maxwell Hardware on Broad Street and gave to him as a boy. He was still shooting it in his eighties, and would use no other. His very unselfish son buried Mr. Tom with his briar britches on and his Parker 20 by his side. There was not a place on that gun where the metal was not bright white from carrying.

Men shot 12's for ducks and turkeys, 16's for quail and doves. The men who used a 20 were the kind who grew up with it, as Mr. Tom did, and just continued to use it for birds, but they were few and far between. The only .410's used by men were in a boat as a snake gun. Boys grew up carrying them, but looked forward to the day they could graduate to a 20 or 16.

My first gun was a .410 double, then a 20, and on my 16th birthday a 12. That was a typical progression around heah'.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.