My gun that got away, I actually owned it for about 45 minutes. 20 years ago I was just starting to learn about double barrels and knew just enough to make me dangerous. My Dad called me and told me about a little country auction coming up that "had some of them doubles I was always talking about". So I gathered up all my gun money I could scrounge up (approx $1100) and headed off to the auction feeling like a high roller. As soon as I walked in, I knew there were some really nice doubles (way nicer than my Stevens 311's, Fox model B's and even my pride and joy Parker VH). That Parker VH made me a "Parker Collector" of course... So when I saw my first graded Parker come up for sale, I went ALL IN and gaveled out at $900. I had mixed emotions because as happy as I was to be the winner, I now was broke enough that I couldnt even bid on anything else. I looked over to the doorway and in walked a dealer that i had done business with before. He has since passed on but some of you here in Ohio would know him and his shop. He was mad about being late and sat down right next to me. After seeing the Parker that I had won, he asked if I would entertain an offer on that gun. I said sure and he commenced to whipping out $2000 cash. I gladly accepted with the condition that he would let me come into his shop and photograph the gun the next day because i was of course a new member of the Parker Gun Collector's assoc. (read with a sarcastic voice).
I did go by the next day and took some pictures to share with my new found collector buddies
Short version of the ending is that the gun was a CHE 16 ga. with 32" barrels and english stock (original and possibly unfired). The dealer sold it the next day at the Ohio Gun Collector's show to another dealer for $17,500...and all I have is a bad memory, a couple extra dollars and some really cool pictures.
Ya win some... Ya lose some.