Chuck,

In all of the years of hunting and field trials the two most used first aid items are stop bleed and eye wash. I use the powdered type of stop bleed and carry it in the field. I use gauze or tape to hold it in place. A tiny nick in the ears and it will look as if the dog took his head off. They come over to you and shake their head and splatter blood all over you and your gun. Blood is the best thing in the world for taking the finish off of a nicely blued barrel. Eye wash. Any kind of sterile eye solution. K-9 type is not necessary. I check eyes many times during a hunt. Especially in heavy cover. As for the dyhydration problem it is best treated by preventing it. Most good hunting dogs will hunt untill they drop dead. It is your job to make them stop before they do damage. Heat is deadly, dogs are instinctive, we are the ones that are supposed to have the common sense. Most other first aid stuff is the same as you would have for yourself. I have had my share of field injuries. I hope you never need to use any of the first aid supplies. Good to know that you are preparing. Many dog owners never even think of the dogs health in the field. They think that they are machines the require no maintenence. Best of luck with the new partner.

Bill G.