I'm seriously considering having true longrifle built for deer hunting (mostly in PA, but I believe I could occasionally use it out here as well). Since I really like to walk in the woods (I get cold when I just sit in ambush) I'd like to see if I can create something that is as long, light, & lovely as some of my more-favored birdguns. My reasoning along those lines would be to first...try to keep the caliber down around .45 (the legal minimum in PA and maybe other states as well?) to help manage barrel-weight (tapered or "swamped" barrels would likely help here too). I would also focus on the more-minimalist & petite schools of muzzle-stuffers (Pennsylvania Schimmels, Tennessee Beans, etc.) as things like patch-boxes and other adornment tend to only add weight and cost. I'm frustrated by the lock-time on my pre-fabbed Hawken clone and I'm seeing much better results from the more hand-made stuff. Much to learn here. These guns are a spectacular history lesson when you finally dig into them.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/04/18 11:29 PM.