June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (Bob La Londe, battle, Chuckster, Jimmy W), 512 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,579
Posts546,660
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Geo. Newbern #500358 01/04/18 09:07 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I stand corrected , sir...

Sidelock
Sidelock

fallschirmjaeger,
The wet red clay is very slick, but river gravel and crushed rock placed in bad spots, over the years, plus regular "blading", keeps the "young'uns" from learning how to drive in it. Also most of them can only drive automatic transmissions.
Mike

Geo. Newbern #500376 01/04/18 12:05 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sipped Stan, followed by a quiet lip smack if in polite company. About 40 years ago I got invited to a Bear/Hog hunt back in the mountains. Breakfast was fried ham, grits and about an inch of a clear, water like liquid. Being a guest I tried to be as quite and polite as I could be. The talk was fairly normal but a little quiet. After taking a big bite of that salty fried ham I reached for my "water" glass. The table fell quiet. I just knew I was about to be the center of entertainment for everyone. I took a medium sip and swirled it around my mouth, killing nerve endings for a year before swallowing it. Then the small lip smack.

Everyone watched me waiting for the coughing fit that was expected to follow. Instead I looked at the old fellow at the head of the table and said Apple and Pecan, that's a good run too. He just about fell out of his chair. Asked how I knew that. Told him I had an uncle who use to run of a batch now and then and would use apple wood and pecan wood or charcoal to smooth it out and flavor it. He said his own sons never knew his secrets until that day. Shame I said such a fine thing should never be allowed to end. That was a mighty fine tasting run.

Never saw a bear or hog but still have memories of a fine weekend. Feeling returned in less that a year, but I could use that stuff to numb a fellow before extracting a tooth. It was high grade.

Geo. Newbern #500378 01/04/18 12:19 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That clear liquid burns with nice blue flame when lit. In EU is called Rectified Spirit and in USA Grain Alcohol (95% Alcohol 190 proof).

Geo. Newbern #500382 01/04/18 12:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I recall one time here in "Sunny Tennessee" one wintry night we had rain which turned into sleet & then a bit of snow on top of that. All schools & many businesses were closed, but not ours, we didn't close for anything . At the time I was driving an old 1964 Ford F100 2WD pickup to work. Made it in with no problem. The ones who didn't was one import from Michigan & those with 4WD trucks.
As our Michigan co-worker learned that day driving on southern sleet & wet snow is about as different from driving on piled up dry snow as is playing football compared to table tennis. You either learn to handle it or you end up in the ditch, which he did.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Jagermeister #500384 01/04/18 12:42 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Burning that clear liquid is a sin unto itself. Talk about stupid waste.

KY Jon #500387 01/04/18 01:05 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Burning that clear liquid is a sin unto itself. Talk about stupid waste.

I seen it used that way in fire cupping.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
Originally Posted By: Der Ami
I had enough snow, living in Germany, I don't care if I never see two more snowflakes piled on each other. I do wish, however, I could still walk well enough to walk up rabbits in the snow.
fallschirmjaeger
I learned to drive in snow by driving on wet, red clay roads in Alabama. The county has mostly up graded them to "all weather" roads , although still "dirt", at least the ones not paved. Todays kids don't have that training ground.
Mike

Mike,

I'd bet that wet red clay is slicker than just about anything!

Nope. Not even close. Freezing rain or wet black ice is as slippery as it gets. I can recall a night so slick that after I came to a complete stop, my car slid sideways off the slight crown in the center of the road, and onto the gravel berm. I got out and put my tire chains on to make it the rest of the way home. But I fell flat on my ass several times in the process. The time to put chains on is before you get in trouble. And that is why I run now four studded snow tires on all of my vehicles every winter. And I still carry tire chains, sand, a come-a-long, and a tow strap too, for those extra bad nights.

But I did spend one delightful morning digging my truck out after getting it buried in wet clay during a spring turkey hunt. I hesitated as my buddy pointed down the logging road back in to where we were to hunt that morning. It had rained all night, and my headlights reflected off the submerged surface that resembled a creek more than a logging road. I said, "That looks pretty juicy Al." He said it had a good solid base. Maybe so, but it was obviously much deeper than the axles of my truck.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

KY Jon #500430 01/04/18 07:06 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Sipped Stan, followed by a quiet lip smack if in polite company. About 40 years ago I got invited to a Bear/Hog hunt back in the mountains. Breakfast was fried ham, grits and about an inch of a clear, water like liquid. Being a guest I tried to be as quite and polite as I could be. The talk was fairly normal but a little quiet. After taking a big bite of that salty fried ham I reached for my "water" glass. The table fell quiet. I just knew I was about to be the center of entertainment for everyone. I took a medium sip and swirled it around my mouth, killing nerve endings for a year before swallowing it. Then the small lip smack.

Everyone watched me waiting for the coughing fit that was expected to follow. Instead I looked at the old fellow at the head of the table and said Apple and Pecan, that's a good run too. He just about fell out of his chair. Asked how I knew that. Told him I had an uncle who use to run of a batch now and then and would use apple wood and pecan wood or charcoal to smooth it out and flavor it. He said his own sons never knew his secrets until that day. Shame I said such a fine thing should never be allowed to end. That was a mighty fine tasting run.

Never saw a bear or hog but still have memories of a fine weekend. Feeling returned in less that a year, but I could use that stuff to numb a fellow before extracting a tooth. It was high grade.

The really good stuff goes down as smooth as cool spring water. I've tasted the best and the worst. Just because a man knows how to make likker don't mean he knows how to make good likker.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Geo. Newbern #500433 01/04/18 07:08 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith, you are right....nothing worse than wet black ice. I can remember a few instances of it when its really bad, but you know it when it happens....when you think its really slippery and you still fall down when you get out of the car or truck, now that's slippery.

My favorite memory of it was on a sunny day in Montana in the very early 1980's. Just enough heat in the sunshine to melt a layer of water on the ice on the road. 4 of us in a vehicle. We watched five other cars go off the road and somehow manage to come to a stop still on the road. All four got out of the car and all four wiped out.

When it gets good and Manitoba cold, there's lots of traction for those who know how to drive on it. Ice roads.....they're fun!

Last edited by canvasback; 01/04/18 07:09 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.