September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (rrrgcy, Argo44, irs), 288 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,900
Posts550,592
Members14,458
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,

In all of the years of hunting and field trials the two most used first aid items are stop bleed and eye wash. I use the powdered type of stop bleed and carry it in the field. I use gauze or tape to hold it in place. A tiny nick in the ears and it will look as if the dog took his head off. They come over to you and shake their head and splatter blood all over you and your gun. Blood is the best thing in the world for taking the finish off of a nicely blued barrel. Eye wash. Any kind of sterile eye solution. K-9 type is not necessary. I check eyes many times during a hunt. Especially in heavy cover. As for the dyhydration problem it is best treated by preventing it. Most good hunting dogs will hunt untill they drop dead. It is your job to make them stop before they do damage. Heat is deadly, dogs are instinctive, we are the ones that are supposed to have the common sense. Most other first aid stuff is the same as you would have for yourself. I have had my share of field injuries. I hope you never need to use any of the first aid supplies. Good to know that you are preparing. Many dog owners never even think of the dogs health in the field. They think that they are machines the require no maintenence. Best of luck with the new partner.

Bill G.

RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great plan to look after "Jazz's" welfare. Couple of thoughts. Tweezers not worth a twit if you have old eyes. don't forget a small magnifying glass. SD sand burrs are small and painful. Won't find them much in ag ground, but if your after ST grouse you might run into them. Energy bars in case your pup really outdoes herself and needs a pickup. Make sure her toes nails are clipped about a week before the trip. Jazz shouldn't be bothered much by the variety of burrs out there, but if her coat looks to be thick enough to have burrs hitch a ride, bring along a small deburring brush. I assume you have all the proper name tags with your cell number listed, flourescent vest for her. Did you get a micro chip embedded for ID? Backup whistle. Camera for braggin photos of Jazz's first year. Good luck and have a great time. Brother and I will be in SD last of November. Randy

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

Albertson's/Osco sells a generic 'Sav-on' 3 pack of 4 oz Non-Preserved Saline Solution. It's in a squeeze bottle that can generate a pretty good stream and is leak-proof until the cap is screwed down. I don't carry that in my vest but in the first aid kit in the vehicle and is good for irrigating eyes or lacerations.
One of my setters was prone to exertional hypoglycemia so I do carry Insta-Glucose Gel (brand name) in a 1 oz squeeze tube. It can be slowly squeezed into the mouth of the dog even if unconscious and will be absorbed through the mucosa of the mouth.
Don't forget both the home and cell phone #s on all the dog collars.
Have a great, and safe, season!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I carry a cut kit that includes a tube of antibac, teflon coated pads, tape and a desposable razor ... I also carry a small pack of butterflys ..... I carry this stuff in an old canvas dog boot that will protect an injured foot for the trip home. I teach all my dogs to drink from a regular .5L spring water bottle and I bring as much for him as I bring for me. When I drink, he drinks.(mine is spring water .... his is a tap refil)

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,
Not first aid per se .. just a small bit of extra thot .. remember that acetomeniphen or anything with it, like many of the headache remedies is LETHAL TO DOGS. Aspirin, is not.

Also dogs cannot process chocolate and it too is potentially lethal, so the candy bar thing is a bad idea. Stick to dog food, a small amount in a baggie or a dog bone 'treat'.

Talk to your vet & read some of the hunting dog forums. Lots of good advise here too. Think of getting Jazz 'snake trained'. Runs $25 or so, but can save the dog's life if you are going to have her out in the field hunting with you in warmer climes or areas and not just doing waterfowl retreiving.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by tw:
Think of getting Jazz 'snake trained'. Runs $25 or so, but can save the dog's life if you are going to have her out in the field hunting with you in warmer climes or areas and not just doing waterfowl retreiving.
How do you snake train a dog ?
L.F.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You burn 'em. Seriously, you walk the dog past a snake on a lead. The moment the dog shows any interest, they get zapped by the trainer. At the same time they quickly move dog away from the snake.

It only takes 2 or 3 experiences like that and the dog has no further interest in snakes.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Snake proofing a dog is done with a negative correction to the dog to associate the sight,smell and sound of a snake with something they should avoid. Most people use an electric shock collar to do the corrections along with real snakes.Training sometimes needs to be repeated at the start of the season or when you might have an encounter with a snake.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,

I have used the "generic" boric eye wash found at Walgreens, CVC, et. al. The key is to rinse out the particles in the eyes. Dogs run at "seed" level and fill their eyes with all sorts of stuff. One other item I carry, but have never used, are tongue depressers. I always thought they would make a good splint if needed and are light weight. I carry two "levels" of first aid. A ziploc in my hunting vest with EMT gel, bandages, small scissors, tweezers and eye wash. The next level has much more and is too heavy to carry but in my car in immediate reach if needed.

Safe hunting!

Jim

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The vitamin C article was convincing. I bought a small bottle for my 'crash kit'. I'm buying new stuff for the kit so I don't raid the home supplies. I figured it's going to double as the regular travel first aid kit I shoulda had for people all along. Fortunately, I've never really needed a first aid kit except for the horse trips and we got by with what I and others had in our saddlebags. I've got a can of spray on bandage stuff from the horse biz that works exceptionally, but is not cheap. When you need it, it doesn't matter the cost. For bleeding extremities on horses (usually lower leg cuts) I've used ice or snow to stop the bleeding quickly. It contracts the tissue quickly to shut off superficial bleeding.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.