June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (eeb, Hammergun, Wild Skies), 260 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,634
Posts547,219
Members14,433
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#503517 01/30/18 11:34 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I read a description of a gun recently, a Citori, with a mercury recoil reducer in the stock. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Perry -

There are a number of different brands and they are all pretty much the same. Just google mercury recoil reducer to see the lot. AFAIC the same weight of lead in the stock will accomplish the same effect. Shootgun empties filled with reclaimed work for me.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Basically it is tube filled with mercury and placed in the butt stock behind the butt plate. It is supposed to do 2 things. The added weight to the gun should reduce some recoil and the tube is not full of mercury. When the gun is fired the mercury takes up some of the recoil energy as well. At least that is how it should work in theory.

I use one in my Citori and I know the added weight reduces felt recoil. No idea if the mercury itself helps or not.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100528...d-7-8-x-4-14-oz

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think trying to buy mercury for a project like this is futile. Where would you get it unless you had some stashed away.

I added a set of 32" barrels on to a hammer gun that I like to shoot. I set it up for trap shooting. I added a center bead and also .157 ivory (mammoth) front bead. I put a beavertail for-end on it, and now the balance point was barrel heavy. I remembered the stock had 3 3/4" holes in it. Two were about 6" deep and the other was less. I had some .750 aluminum and turned it down to .700. Still was barrel heavy. Drilled a 1/2" hole 3" deep and taped the opening to 14mm, perfect for the 1/2" hole. Made a cap for it and filled it with #6 shot. After a few trials it now balances 1/4" past the hinge pin.

You can see in the picture the total weight of everything. I didn't do it for recoil but I'm sure it will work. I only shoot 3/4 oz. of shot so I am not worried about recoil.

Last edited by David Williamson; 01/30/18 02:35 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not suggesting you make your own mercury recoil reducer. I have read somewhere that it is difficult to contain mercury and you should have a sealed unit. How a commercial mercury recoil reducer is made I don't know but I can not find a way to open mine and I don't think there is an opening.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

At some level there has to be something to them besides mere weight.

I have had one in a M12 trap gun for probably 40 years. I would have a hard time slamming my fist on the table and saying it makes a noticeable difference, but on two occasions I have come off the line and people who were watching approached me and asked if the gun had a reducer. You have to wonder what it is about that gun that caught their attention and lead them directly to the reducer.

Years ago an acquaintance had a Remington 3200 with twin reducers - talk about going for broke. I shot doubles with it once and it was the most amazing thing. The gun vibrated a little bit, but it sure as heck didn't move that I could tell!

I think reducers are like porting. If you shoot two guns, identical except for the reducer/porting, side by side, there will be little doubt in your mind which is which. If you just pick a gun off the rack, you'll never guess if it has been modified or not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Remington supplied a free recoil reducer with their 3" 870s, it was a machined steel rod that was installed in the magazine tube. Probably helped your swing too.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

They take up recoil in two ways. Additional weight is one, and also the fluid movement of the mercury in it.

They are made in different sizes and weights if younare trying to balance things out. Most of them will make the gun butt heavy. Repeaters have the ability of the reducer being put up front in the mag tube. Or even some are made to attach to or to replace the magazine cap.

A lot of competitive ahooters will add these up front and in back. They like very heavy guns to take up the recoil of the many rounds they will ahoot in a day.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree to what Brian stated, mercury is heavier than lead and unlike lead in pellets or solid form, mercury will flow faster and reduce felt recoil much better.

Years ago I worked with someone that used mercury to clean his pistol bores, cleaned them very good. At that time there were mercury boilers on the property but when I came they were shut down, probably in the late 60's to early 70's.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mercury or as it is sometimes called night silver or Blue Mass, will clean out your pipes or your GI trac. A common use many years ago was to give a constipated person a dose of mercury at night before bedtime. The next morning your entire bowel would be subjected to a complete cleaning. The patient would catch his bm in a chamber pot and take it to the pharmacist who dispenses the mercury. He would stain the mercury out of the stool and use it again. Best to be the first in line for the new mercury shipment. But to be honest nothing organic gets into the metal and stay. It is so dense everything rinses right out. Still the thought is there.

The recoil reduces were fairly popular in the 70-80's. Tried them with no real felt difference. Guess it was up to the user to decide if it was a gimmick or real.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I looked up Blue Mass because I thought Kentucky John was full of... well mercury. But I found out he was right. However it was commonly used from the 17th century to the 19th century! Come on John that's way back in the sticks!

Mercury is a known carcinogen, easily absorbed through the skin. Not exactly a home project for a recoil reducer. I went to school with a guy who rubbed it on coins to turn them silver. He's no longer with us.

I can see how using one of those pills would eliminate the need for dosing the kids every 6 months with Atgard hog wormer. But that trip back to the pharmacist would take a housewife with steely nerves.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I much prefer a Gra-Coil. A buttstock fitted with one was given to me for my MX8 years ago. I love what it does. It's much like a homely wife who is a wonderful cook. You're grateful for her, but you aren't comfortable looking at her for too long at the time.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the "Hardest Kicking" guns I ever fired was the result of a "Too Soft" recoil pad. Changing to a firmer pad cured it. A recoil pad needs to have a bit of firm movement, but too soft is about like firing it without Shoulder contact, gives it running room.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

As I mentioned - try the mercury and try static lead. Then wonder why you kissed $60 goodbye.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I much prefer a Gra-Coil. A buttstock fitted with one was given to me for my MX8 years ago. I love what it does. It's much like a homely wife who is a wonderful cook. You're grateful for her, but you aren't comfortable looking at her for too long at the time.

SRH

Most of those homey wives have even less to look at than their husbands. Fat, bald, lazy and grey hair are not prime features in my book. I still think it's funny when friends decide they want to trade off a wife of 20-40 years for a newer model. What a find those fellows are to that much younger, nicer looking gal. If the wallet is thick enough they can even see eye to eye. But I just laugh when they complain about the cost of divorce and having to work an extra five to ten years. Better to keep her than trade her and that works both ways.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I will have been married to my Wife for 58 years on March 18th. Don't know if its because of my looks or in spite of them. We have both changed a lot over the yeas in our appearance, but she has stuck with me for "Better or Worse"as they say. Could not have asked for better & She's a better cook than my Mother ever dreamed of being. At this point I wouldn't have any use for a "Young'un" anyway.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just to put my previous post in perspective ................. I am happily married to the girl of my dreams, and have been for 46 years. I married up ...............way up. It was a joking analogy, and probably a poor one, considering the replies. My bad.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is turning into one of my all-time favorite posts, because I am learning so much by reading between the lines.

I learned that Abraham Lincoln used Black Draught, which explained several things historical.

I have figured out that some wives are reading these comments!

I figured out that I could have John and Miller send me their excess sweet young things... but I fear they might not have enough battery power in their electric wheelchairs to get out on the interstate.

I've learned that Stan doesn't really need a recoil reducer, because he can back up faster than the speed of sound.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2piper
One of the "Hardest Kicking" guns I ever fired was the result of a "Too Soft" recoil pad. Changing to a firmer pad cured it. A recoil pad needs to have a bit of firm movement, but too soft is about like firing it without Shoulder contact, gives it running room.

I agree completely. A GraCoil is adjustable for how easily it is compressed. I keep mine pretty "tight", so that there seems to be little compression upon recoil. Too much travel, because of too little resistance to compression, seems to be less effective at reducing felt recoil and resulting gun movement.

volley fire, I've got a deal with "Queen"...............I don't do facebOok, and she doesn't read shotgun sites.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 02/01/18 08:07 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am reminded of the Gentleman who told his 40 year old wife he was going to trade her in for 2 20 year old ones. She looked him straight in the eye & said, let me assure you, you are not "Wired" fr 220. At 80 years old & just finishing 6 rounds of Chemo, I am not "Current"ly even Wired for 120 much less 220. My present one suits me just fine.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller,
A friend of mine went through that a few years ago. He just told me last week that the doctors had given him the all-clear on monitoring. I hope it goes as well for you.

Steve

Last edited by volleyfire; 02/01/18 01:39 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used the Mercury recoil reducers on several target shotguns, and been very pleased with the results. They also offer a "barrel clamp" version that meets my needs. The extra barrel weight improves my "swing through" and lessens my sometime tendency to prematurely stop my swing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.