June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jtplumb), 370 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,631
Posts547,174
Members14,430
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Briley no longer chamber sleeves down a gauge. They will sleeve at the same gauge but not down a gauge. I spoke to them last year about sleeving a 10 down to a 12; they would not do it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rtw
Thank you all. I'm still sorting through options and learning, hopefully, as I do.

Rocketman-I, for one, am interested in your continuing. Michael Mc(notch wrote about this some in his book, "Shotgunning and Shooting".

OK, rtw, here comes Gun Handling 102.

Make up a 4 oz bottle of shot. Tape it to the gun starting at the muzzle, every 4 inches to the butt. Measure and record distance from teeter-totter point to front trigger for each weight location. This experiment will give you a good understanding of how weight changes can change balance point. Hold the gun in your hands with each weight location. Pay close attention to any urge to shift your front hand. The balance point where you are most satisfied with your front hand location is "close" to your preferred balance. Repeat using a 2 oz weight to see how smaller weights can have the same effect as a larger weight when further from the CG.

The above will give you a good basic understanding of balance, your preferred balance location, and how to move balance to a more preferred location.

Questions?

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eeb
Briley no longer chamber sleeves down a gauge. They will sleeve at the same gauge but not down a gauge. I spoke to them last year about sleeving a 10 down to a 12; they would not do it.

That is interesting - did they give a reason why they no longer do it?

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Briley did not give me a reason, but from those who have used Briley for that service the word is the guy who did the chamber and barrel sleeving left the company. All the expertise retired or was laid off.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The biggest thing I learned from Don about gun handling is that weight of the gun alone is a terribly poor indicator of handling characteristic(s). It is generally assumed, as was by me, that a lightweight gun is too "whippy", and moves too fast. It is further assumed that this causes all sorts of maladies in shooting flying ........... stopping the gun when you fire, getting too far out in front, and others.

While weight plays a role in this, where the weight is concentrated in the gun plays a much bigger role. If the mass is concentrated in the "center" (the action), and the ends (muzzles and butt) are relieved of mass, the gun will indeed move very easily between the hands, often too easily, and we won't shoot it well. But when the same weight gun has it's center mass lessened and moved towards the ends it "slows it down" a bit, the result of having greater swing effort.

So, it is easy to see, once we understand this truth, that greater swing effort may be a great plus with a very lightweight gun, while less swing effort may be desirable for a very heavy gun. Don spun a little 4 lb. 14 oz. Yildiz S x S .410 of mine and found that the MOI of the gun was almost identical to that of many 12 ga. English game guns. It helped explain to me why I shoot the little featherweight as well as I do.

Hope I'm not boring anybody with this, it's just extremely eye opening when the "light comes on" concerning gun weight.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
Not at all, very informative and glad you posted this. It explains why some of my lightweight guns shoot well for me. Some of the light alloy framed guns seem slower because of the weight extremes at the ends.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

DO you have two forends?

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
rtw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chukarman
DO you have two forends?

No-the gun I had looked at came with 2 barrels. I decided against purchasing it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.