I have a nephew who just turned 13 that I will taking hunting for the first time this year. I don't have a son, so this is the first time I've trained a youngster in gun handling. He has been shooting rifles with others and loves it, but is new to shotguns. He's a stout young man, and I have a 6.5lb 29" Husky mod. 51 16ga hammer gun in knockabout condition that would be perfect for him to learn bird shooting with (perhaps with the stock cut down). I could of course get a pump or single shot for him, but I already have this 51...

With regards to safety, I'm thinking the discipline required of a hammer gun might be useful for a young person to learn from, since I would require him to carry the gun closed with hammers down and cock on the flush. This would, in my way of thinking, force him to concentrate, teach him respect for the weapon and the game, and also expose him to the allure of sxs's at the same time. However, I don't want to make his first experiences hunting too difficult for him either. Thoughts??