Interesting. Having lots of practice at high, long range, birds does help. I was a guest this Fall at a farm shooting dove from the bottom of small gulley between two hills with hedge rows on the tops of each. Birds were going from my left to my right and were right at 35 yards and were centered right over me because they they were cutting across the hedgerow at a natural vee on both sides.

They looked like they were higher from where I was. 35 yards is too long for me with the .410 and that was all I had with me. I limit my shots to 25-30 yards with the .410 I was shooting So I started moving up the hill side until birds directly over head were about 30 yards. It took eight or ten shells until I got the sight picture down and started killing birds. After that I ended up hitting about one out of two shots in my narrow shooting window. Even managed to go back down to the bottom of the ravine before I was done but had to add almost two feet additional lead. Never could have done it if the birds were not all flying down the same highway which gave me fairly constant targets to master. Had they been coming from all angles I'd still trying to figure out how to hit them.