June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (mel5141, eeb, Chuckster, FelixD, 1 invisible), 486 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,583
Posts546,712
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, collecting can be fun but you always find new things to collect if you are lucky. I collect doubles with different locking/opening systems. When I started I knew of four or five different ones. It seems like there are two dozen or more of them from the simple to vastly overly complex. I am sure a few remain for me to find.

I tried to collect all different species of ducks seen on the Chesapeake Bay and it’s surrounding rivers. I had a full cape head mount of each of them for my wall. You’d see just the front of the breast, neck and head mounted on a nice looking Walnut plaque with an engraved plate noting species, date taken and location. Had over two dozen mounted and my still to find list was getting shorter and shorter. I did it to make fun of my hunting buddies who lusted for that big buck mount for their walls. Had a real nice line of them on my gun room wall until I had an infestation of some bug which seemed to like them better than I did. Ended up throwing them all out which made my wife happier.

KY Jon #509392 03/23/18 11:50 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jon, I had a nice mount of a sharp-tail grouse a friend did for me. The cat climbed the bookcase and attacked it for some reason. Its still on the wall but one wing looks kind of funny...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like they cleaned up the butt plates of their forerunner Parry Fire Arms Co.

Last edited by Researcher; 03/23/18 12:09 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good observation Researcher. I'm glad you posted because my gun came with two old Wilkes-Barre newspaper articles which detail the Parry connection and history of the Wyoming Valley gun manufacturing saga. If I can get them scanned and posted they may be of some value to you...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

George. nice, should I take your name off my C grade ? wink
Both of mine have that buttplate and I believe they made a D grade as well. I grew up in Carnegie and I say Wilkes -Bear but that doesn’t mean much.

When my team started running Porsches a few years ago the boss had a stern meeting that we were to call them Porsche-Ahh. He gave a few people a hard time in the early weeks. I got a good laugh the day I was calling a big dealership trying to find a part and asked for Porsche-ah parts and the lady replied smug as shit. “Oh you mean Porsch-“

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No Marks_21, don't take my name off anything. If you'd like I'll get you a Will drafted that settles the matter completely...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

"I am glad Keith was able to make this happen for you. Along with the G.Fox, Boston Sideswing (there are 3 examples of), you also ought to have the Semi-Hammerless and the Whitmore patent Hammerless. Forhand & Wadsworth, a graded Torkelson, Tobin, H&R/Deeley, etc...Ever seen an engraved N.R. Davis?"

And don't overlook the Hollenbeck Gun Co, Three Barrel Gun Co, and Royal Gun Co. side x sides just to name three more!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ll be the witness!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Topgun, the matter boils down to an appropriate (personal) definition of 'American Classic'. First it has to be classic, so that cuts out CSMC and Winchester in my mind. Then classic must be further defined by quality which is very much in the eye of the beholder. Finally, classic must have been widely distributed, successful, and long lived, although that might have weeded out Wilkes-Barre if I'd been unsuccessful in ever finding one.

I'm not much familiar with the other guns mentioned in your post, but I had a N. R. Davis which contrary to its advertising, was not "as good as the best". I think of Tobin as Canadian, H&R as pre-fab British, Hollenbeck et al as precursor to other American Clasics. De gustibus non est disputandum...Geo

topgun #509419 03/23/18 03:21 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Top gun, I have an engraved N.R. Davis. Not many around. . I’m away from my pics, but can get you one if you remind me in a week or so. The Davis has sort of the profile of the American Arms Whitmore patent, but different mechanics with a square “Greener” crossbolt.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.