Good afternoon, gentlemen! I hope everyone's weekend is going great!

As a collector of "working-man's" combination rifles, I've been on the lookout for an affordable drilling for some time. As a native West Virginian, I'd pretty much settled on a Hollenbeck gun.

And although I probably paid too much for it, I recently threw some money at an auction and won gun #1518, in 12ga full/full over .30-30. In retrospect, I probably paid too much, and after reading more on here and learning that damascus is indeed not actually a pipe-bomb waiting to happen, I probably should have bought a nicer damascus gun instead, as I've passed over several over the years. Hindsight, heh.

The shotgun barrels appear to be plain steel, and the engraving is light, with some wear in a few places. The shotgun bores are supposedly excellent, though the rifle bore is supposedly a bit dark. Externally, there looks to be the sort of bluing wear that one would expect from a well-loved 100+ year old gun, and none of the case hardening color remains on the receiver. The wood is surprisingly decent considering the other wear, except for a small chip out of the forearm. The top of the buttplate is a bit mangled and worn, as if the gun spent a lot of time propped up somewhere other than in a gun cabinet.

Unfortunately, it hasn't shipped yet, so I can't provide high-res pictures. I suppose I ought to have waited to post, but maybe I have "first drilling fever", heh.

I have a few dumb questions:

1. I assume that all of these guns had nitro-proofed shotgun barrels? I can't see any proof marks in the auction photos, but they are kind of low-res and the seller may not know what he is looking for, I dunno.

2. Is there anything in particular with these guns that I ought to check for before shooting it? I'd hate for it to violently self-disassemble!

3. Would it be worthwhile to re-proof it, or am I just being pedantic and ought to just shoot it? smile

4. I assume that all of these guns were produced late enough that they all have chambers no shorter than 2.75"?

5. Does anyone have a recommendation for mounting QD return-to-zero scope rings without mangling the gun up too badly? I was thinking maybe I could tap the rib and a screw on a section of picatinny rail, then remove it and install grub screws if I ever sell the gun.

6. I imagine a proper reblue job would cost more than the gun is worth, eh? Probably ruin any "collector value" as well?

7. If I have to send it off to a 'smith (and considering that I am just a poor dumb redneck who raises cattle, not some kind of wealthy oil-baron or something), who might you recommend? I am not sure that I'd trust our local guy with this gun.

Thanks, folks! I'm really looking forward to becoming part of the drilling community, and hopefully my Valmets won't get too jealous. smile Y'all have a wonderful weekend!