Originally Posted By: Chukarman
I am not sure that the discussion of pattern variability is JUST about choke. Bill Nittler regulated the barrels of a couple of guns for me and he said that the interior profile of the entire barrel had an influence on the patterns obtained. He actually was able to produce the exact pattern percentages (within 1 % - 2%) that I requested with the ammunition that I provided.

My question is... how much actual variability is there between patterns produced from the same gun under repeated, identical test conditions??

C'man,

It's according to what you mean by variability. No two patterns are the same. So, there is variability between every pattern ever shot. Are the voids in the pattern in the same place every time the same gun and load is shot? No. I have only seen one gun in my life that did that, and I have mentioned it numerous times. It shot a donut pattern with a hole in the center .............everytime. That is an anomaly.

But, there is enough certainty that a cylinder will shoot a cylinder sized pattern, and that a modified will shoot a modified sized pattern, that we can pretty well bank on it. IOW, the overall diameter of the pattern will be very reliable, while the location fo the patchiness will not.

That may or may not be adressing your question (?).

SRH

P.S. This is assuming the exact same load is used.

Last edited by Stan; 04/10/18 08:47 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.