Brittany Man, I once taped a pistol scope to the barrel of a lever rifle to simulate a scout mount but did not like the small, distant picture at all. That's why I decided to go the side mount route.

Mike, I'm leaning towards Williams, too. And yes, much of my shooting is early morning, and late before night.

Recoil Rob, I never handled a side mounted scope so maybe I will not like it either, but I will never know if I don't try it...

BrentD, I do have a Marlin 1895, scoped. Unfortunately much of my hunting is small deer at long distance so .45-70 is not my idea of a 'general purpose' hunting rifle (but it's dandy for pigs). I feel .270 is my best choice for roe deer to chamois to wild boar. I also had a Savage 99 in .308 but did not like the hammerless action. Then I bought a Browning BLR .308 but the trigger is much too heavy even after gunsmith's intervention (and I get missfires from time to time). My .270 M'95 however has a very sweet trigger and is my favourite lever gun among many.

With kind regards,
Jani