Thanks, everyone.

Yeah, the neck seems pretty large to me, too, but I've discovered that the battery is dead in my caliper and I haven't had a chance to go anywhere that sells stuff like that yet. smirk A .308 caliber bullet falls down inside the neck easily, but I 'spect that's to be expected as the same happens with the fired necks of some of my other brass from the other .30-30 too. It does seem a little looser though.

Someone elsewhere suggested that it could be reamed to .30-30 Ackley Improved, too, if there is a burr in the chamber that the brass is flowing into. Though if I can make it work as-is with fireformed brass, I certainly don't plan to load heavier and I imagine the AI calls for heavier loads, so eh....

I think I read somewhere that paper-patched lead bullets shoot well from barrels with eroded throats. Maybe that could be an option if the chamber is eroded over-size. The rifling looks a little weaker back near the breech, but it's certainly not gone or anything, so I dunno.

At this juncture, I think it may be beyond my redneck head-scratching, and time to suck it up and make the 3 hour drive to the nearest gunsmith that doesn't suck. Maybe I ought to just get hold of that fellow mentioned earlier, though he's about as far away as someone can be from me and still be in the same state, haha.