June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (eeb, John E, grant1907, 1 invisible), 268 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,620
Posts547,065
Members14,429
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it is, Dave, but I bought an 8 lb. can before it was. That much lasts a long time for low pressure duck loads, for me.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan;
I don't recall all the details now but the load was taken directly from a Dupont handloaders guide that was current at the time. I do recall it used Remington SP cases, CCI primers & Rem wads. The load was actually a 1Ľoz load of #5 shot @ about 7K psi. Velocity was around 1150 fps. After loading some prior to the duck season I left the .22 at home a time or so & tried them on some squirrel. They went off with a solid bang & would knock a squirrel for a loop from the top of the tallest trees in my neck of the woods. Then I carried them on that duck hunt. My son & I had gone to this swamp & were hunting from a Jon Boat. There was a flooded Soybean field we had to break ice to get across to the wooded swamp area. First duck I shot at was a Greenhead Mallard drake. I got that feeble Burp I mentioned, the duck came down but hit the water swimming. My son finished him off with a 20 gauge loaded with an ounce of #6's. I didn't shoot anymore but let my Son shoot his limit. When we got home we examined my mallard closely. All the #5 shot had barely broken the skin while his #6 shot had penetrated well. I did note the next edition of DuPont's guide this load had been eliminated, perhaps I wasn't the only one who had trouble with it.

I would advise anyone using 7625 at any load under 8K to pick a load which uses "Hot" components. Maybe if I had been using Federal primers or AA hulls my results would have been different. The SP was a cooler case as well as the CCI primers were mild. Even though listed in their guide it just didn't work well when the weather turned cold. I have done most of my loading with Green Dot since & have had no problems with it plus it was more economical to boot.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Promo is not a great powder for what you want. It is designed as a full target load at a cheap price. Look at Extra Lite or ClayDot or American Select.

In fact just go to Alliant Powder web site and pick 12 Remington Hull, select shot charge, primer and powder, all, to see your best options. I'd go for a 1 ounce load. The lighter loads tend to have more velocity to get proper powder burning.

Agree with that list of powders. I've used all of them in Gun Club/STS hulls for light (7/8 or 1 oz) reloads at relatively low pressure. Extra Light is probably my favorite, but it's been hard to find of late. Fortunately, I had most of an 8 pounder of American Select, so I decided to use that up and keep my eyes open for Extra Light. About the only negative with AS compared to XL is that it takes a bit more powder (2 or 3 extra grains). Cost is pretty similar, so that makes XL a bit cheaper.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks everyone for the great advise and recipes! Sure do appreciate the help. I did find a LP load using Promo. Once I use that up, I'll be using Clays powder from now on. Might be a few bucks more, but a lot more recipes to choose from.

Thanks again!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I reload for targets I use the STS, Win209, and 7/8 ounce in a Federal 12S0 over 17 grains of Clays. Per Hodgdon's site that comes in at 7700 psi and 1220 fps. If you go with a CB-4100-12 instead, with 18.8 grains of Clays you get 5200 psi (!) and 1200 fps.

The 12S0 load is a nice, soft-shooting one that is economical (esp with the shot) and patterns well.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

19.0 grains of 800X blue windjammer wad Winchester AA case and 1 1/8 oz. of shot. Breaks clays and kills birds beautifully out to 40 yards. Pressure is only 4800 psi. This has been a go to load for me for over 12 years. Hope this helps

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 12boreman
19.0 grains of 800X blue windjammer wad Winchester AA case and 1 1/8 oz. of shot. Breaks clays and kills birds beautifully out to 40 yards. Pressure is only 4800 psi. This has been a go to load for me for over 12 years. Hope this helps

Forgot to add Rem 209 primer!

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Forgot to add Rem 209 primer!

I've found when looking for LP loads quite a few had the Rem 209P (now 209PSTS), but I can't find any around here. The places that do carry reloading components can order them, but the cost is $49. Compared to $30 for Win 209 and $27 for Cheddite. For the load I found, I asked Alliant about a primer sub. They said at low pressure you can swap Win 209 primers with no ill effects. He said that you can drop the powder by .5 grain and get about the same pressure. So for me, I'm using Win 209's. Cheaper and available.

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

We buy Cheddite for 117/5000, the Win and Fed are up around 125 to 140. I've been reloading low pressure shells for around 15 years and at 7500psi and under and don't feel there's a problem with subbing in Win, Cheddite, Rem, or CCI's. I've also used many a jug of Promo because it's so much cheaper. Is there a little powder left in the barrel ? Yea, but it goes out the next shot. With a break open gun there's no problem. JMHO

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.