June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (Steve Nash, LGF, LRF), 538 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,585
Posts546,743
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Raimey, that was my thought as well. Tried it. Looked through the safe and grabbed a couple that I could honestly say I would be happy to trade. A problem with that is he's focused on rifles, not shotguns and I don't have rifles. He's gone away for a month or two. Cabin on an island off the grid. So it's not going anywhere in a hurry. I believe his interest in it for himself is as a curio. But if he sells it, I suspect he wants to maximize his return to direct the funds to where his real interest lies. I'd be doing the same.

Thanks for all who chimed in with a price. So far ranged from a low of $200 to a high of $1500 with an average from the nine who posted a number of $720.

As someone said many times, it's worth what someone will pay on any given day. With 10 of us coming up with a number, I can see a consensus from what I would describe as knowledgeable SxS enthusiasts. Thank you.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

As something is worth what someone will pay, it is a parallel axiom that it is the decision of the traveller whether to go down a certain path- in this case one of restoration. Since your opening comments preclude a discussion of those merits, and you seek to limit input to value of the particular firearm, I have little to offer. I know little of these guns, having handled just one in my lifetime. That said, I take a slightly different approach: if the seller can respect it for what it once was, and is "noble" enough for that sake to see it restored, perhaps he would give it to you for what he paid and let you start on that journey. Hopefully he didn't pay much, maybe a couple hundred.

There is the anecdote out there, perhaps only myth, of the wealthy collector who added an exquisite Strad to his inventory of art and antiques. A gifted violinist visited one day, and the collector graciously took it out for the musician to see. "May I play it, sir?" He answered, "Of course," and the master violinist proceeded to make it sing as its maker intended. Turning it over and around with a last glance and forlorn farewell, he handed it back to its owner. "Oh no," the rich man said- "it belongs not on display or confined to a case, but in hands capable of realizing its potential. It's yours."

My .02, and hopefully the owner didn't pay much more than that.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

You are buying the engraving, waiting for a set of 10ga barrels to show up somewhere.
I'd go a grand, just to have it around for the wait.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
You are buying the engraving, waiting for a set of 10ga barrels to show up somewhere.
I'd go a grand, just to have it around for the wait.

CZ, thats exactly where I am.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sort of how I see it as well.

I have unpure thoughts for what is left of the current barrel set, 12 bore round ball gun anyone?

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

My thoughts, also, I have some rifled 12ga blanks that would go well there.

I'm in the >$500 camp..

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen a few 10/12 sets. Perhaps you could find a donor gun in 10 or 12 to liberate a set of barrels from. I know its almost a sin to do this but using a lower grade gun barrel to return this gun to service might be a option. At one time I had several dozen orphan barrel sets hoping to find a use for them all. I did use about a third of them to either return a gun to service with bad barrels or make a composite two barrel set. Gave up on most of the rest except for a couple very early Lefevers and Fox. For every set which I could fit I had many, many which were not even close. Same make doesnt not mean a good match and Lindners seem to have changed slightly over the years such that getting a easy match is going to be luck of the draw. But you never know.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could you get a cheap Spanish 10 gauge side by side and use the barrels as donor tubes for sleeving?

When I first saw this post pop up, I immediately thought $500.00. It's a very handsome action.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I appreciate all your suggestions about what to do with it if I am able to acquire it. Trust me when I say I have thought of all these options and then some.

If I was able to acquire it then there is the balancing act of restoration to some level vs unlimited funds spent. At this point Im really just trying to get the gun. If Im able to do that, then the next steps would have to be decided. I am likely to, somehow, get proper length barrels back onto the gun. Whether that is by sleeving, donor barrels or brand new tubes I dont know and the decision is a long way off.

I would first get the action working properly. Then I would address the missing wood from the stock. What happens after that, only time will tell.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Because everything on this project hinges on the barrels, I'd get them figured out first before spending time and money on the action and wood. You sound up for the project, despite its challenges, and I hope it works out for you.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.