June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 164 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,631
Posts547,174
Members14,430
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you take that attitude, then there is no answer.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

hic, hoc, humm...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: coosa
I don't believe that the presence of turkeys on the place is in any way keeping us from having quail. There are large areas 100 miles to the south where both are doing well on the same properties.

In your case, and in many hundreds for thousands of acres of the Southland, it is the planted pines. Loblolly pine plantations are a death knell for quail. Think about it. What is there to hold or sustain quail? No cover, no food, no nesting habitat. I don't blame them for leaving. Really, it's not just quail. It's most other wildlife as well. The only species I have ever seen that do well in pine plantations are fox squirrels. And, my grandchildren would have to be starving for me to shoot a fox squirrel.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
And, my grandchildren would have to be starving for me to shoot a fox squirrel.

SRH

you and your grandchildren are missing out. Fox squirrel is the finest wild game in all of North America for table fare, and mighty fun hunting too. but I've never seen them doing well in loblolly or long leaf plantations in the 20 yrs or so that I was working in them.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
well, first we need to close all grouse hunting seasons...then, lets exterminate all of the varmints, including turkeys, that are known or suspected to affect grouse populations...say for 20 years...then, if by that time, the grouse have not recovered, then we really could blame hit awl on moon rocks...

Hard to blame moon rocks when they are all as phony as a $3 bill. Nothing more than some Mohave desert gravel, picked up by MGM or whatever studio produced those "moon walks" for the gubbmint.

wink

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
And, my grandchildren would have to be starving for me to shoot a fox squirrel.

SRH

you and your grandchildren are missing out. Fox squirrel is the finest wild game in all of North America for table fare, and mighty fun hunting too. but I've never seen them doing well in loblolly or long leaf plantations in the 20 yrs or so that I was working in them.

Their value as table fare has nothing to do with the reason I refuse to shoot them. I have a strong connection with fox squirrels. They remind me of me. They are solitary beings. You never see them in pairs or groups. I can't explain it actually, but they're just special to me. Cat (grey) squirrels? Nah. Kill 'em all as far as I am concerned. Nothing but tree rats.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, that's not a bad reason to not hunt them, I suppose. But I bet they taste a lot better marinated and slow grilled than you do... smile

Just a guess though. smile

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a strange thought.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

the "remind me of me" part...

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: coosa
I don't believe that the presence of turkeys on the place is in any way keeping us from having quail. There are large areas 100 miles to the south where both are doing well on the same properties.

In your case, and in many hundreds for thousands of acres of the Southland, it is the planted pines. Loblolly pine plantations are a death knell for quail. Think about it. What is there to hold or sustain quail? No cover, no food, no nesting habitat. I don't blame them for leaving. Really, it's not just quail. It's most other wildlife as well. The only species I have ever seen that do well in pine plantations are fox squirrels. And, my grandchildren would have to be starving for me to shoot a fox squirrel.

SRH

Stan, you are absolutely right about most loblolly plantations. The paper company land is good habitat only for the first few years after planting, and the way most of them manage their land it is not decent quail habitat again until it's cut.

But there is a management system here that produces good quail habitat by cutting way back on the number of trees per acre after they are mature. With 15-20 trees per acre, there is lots of room for an understory that is loaded with quail food. Longleaf is a better tree for this type system, but many of the folks that have these type plantations already had a loblolly forest, so they have made quail woods using them. It requires frequent burning no matter the pine species.

I have a friend who is a forester that makes his living managing these type quail plantations. And they are loaded with turkeys too.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.