June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 164 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,631
Posts547,174
Members14,430
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep, there's a lot of that type pine land around here. When a pine plantation is harvested to yield that type result it is called a "plantation cut" , around here. Great for quail, especially. Old growth is especially beautiful when managed that way.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, you've never seen fox squirrels in pairs? In Iowa, I often saw them chasing each other around like crazy.

As for the pines, they're likely one reason CRP didn't help quail much (if at all) in the Southeast. Trees can be planted instead of grass. Didn't happen much here in the Midwest, but I understand that it did in the South.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Flintfan

Here it is so you can ignore it once again. By the 1991 ban on lead shot the eagle population was well on it's way to recovery. There was no statistical change in recovery after the ban. In fact, the rate of increase actually went down.

Can we see "your" data again?

Re Eagles, DDT, and lead shot: Data on the number of breeding pairs of bald eagles doesn't show that the rate of increase was steady after the lead shot ban. For example, per FWS data there was almost no increase from 1999-2000 (from 6404 to 6471), and then only about a 10% increase from 2000 to 2005 (6471 to 7066). And 10% was about the annual rate of increase from 1987 (after the DDT ban but before the lead shot ban) to 1991, when lead shot was banned. With only one significant exception, that rate of increase remained relatively steady until 1999, at which point numbers flattened out a lot (only about a 10% increase in the 6 year period from 99-05.) Then, however, numbers took a HUGE jump: from 7066 in 05 to 9789 in 06. Makes me wonder whether there was a change in how the numbers were arrived at. That's a far larger jump than any other single year increase.

Last edited by L. Brown; 05/31/18 10:54 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

40 years ago there were no wild turkeys in Maine. Then, about a dozen or so were dumped down by Agamenticus.

Today, the #1 nuisance species in Maine is ... the wild turkey. That's per IFW. They're everywhere, particularly close to houses where one cannot hunt them.

Are Maine's grouse numbers up, down or the same as 40 years ago? I can't say for sure, but the overall sense I take from fellow hunters is "down". And that's factoring in the cyclic changes in abundance which have been there since forever. Yes, there are lots of other things affecting grouse abundance. But when a species goes from non-existent to #1 pest in 40 years, something has to give and that something is usually the species which were here before. Read up on the episodes of invasive species taking over ecosystems and the negative impact on prior residents is a theme repeated over and over.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Stan, you've never seen fox squirrels in pairs? In Iowa, I often saw them chasing each other around like crazy.

As for the pines, they're likely one reason CRP didn't help quail much (if at all) in the Southeast. Trees can be planted instead of grass. Didn't happen much here in the Midwest, but I undoerstand that it did in the South.

Larry,

I lived most of my life in rural Iowa. The Red Fox Squirrel of the midwest is a totally different species from the Fox Squirrel of the Southeast.

Southeastern Fox Squirrel:
http://newsstand.clemson.edu/mediarelati...south-carolina/

Also known as Sherman's Fox Squirrel:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman%27s_fox_squirrel

Midwest variety:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_squirrel

The city park in Centerville Iowa had, when I was living there, a large number of the local Fox squirrels with a form of albinism making them blond.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

We never see pairs of fox squirrels here. They are always solitary. Almost 100% of CRP in the Southeast went into pines. At first they would do loblolly, the preferred species for fast growth. Now, the only one they will allow is longleaf.

The #1 nuisance species here is deer, far and away. There were always some that lived in the deep swamps, but in the late '60s and early '70s they moved out "on the hill" and learned to cohabitate with people, to my regret. One has been coming inside my farm shop headquarters at night, going under the equipment shelter, jumping up on a 18 ft. trailer, and eating treated peanut seed that spilled onto the floor of the trailer.

Interesting that there is a red fox squirrel up north. We see fox squirrels here in several color phases, but never red. Thanks for the links, John E.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 06/01/18 06:35 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
It would not surprise me in the least to one day read that a discovery and been made that, due to a chain of related events or reactions, the decline in quail was directly related to the explosion in the whitetail population. It happened at exactly the same time here.

SRH

Same time here...the nasty ditch goats need to go

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I've wondered whether or not the red phase is the same as "our" fox squirrel here in the south. They are beautiful animals and no two have the same coloration scheme and it is always a treat to see one loping along the ground to the nearest pine. A few wma's I hunt prohibit the hunting of them and that's okay by me. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

The southeastern fox squirrel sometimes called a red squirrel in the south and the midwestern fox squirrel are both the same species, Sciurus niger. They come in many coolor variations, hence the name.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Like Stan, I've never seen a red one. Usually shades of gray or black often with white on its face or ears. Always two toned coloration on squirrels I've seen. Gil

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.