June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jtplumb), 370 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,631
Posts547,174
Members14,430
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown

And 10% was about the annual rate of increase from 1987 (after the DDT ban but before the lead shot ban) to 1991, when lead shot was banned.

That is incorrect. DDT was banned for all agricultural use in the United States in 1972, which represented all but a small fraction of it's annual use. True, it was used for very limited "public health" (i.e. flea, bedbug, etc. infestations within dwellings) circumstances until 1987. However that specific usage had very limited, if any, relationship to it's impact on bald eagles compared to it's agricultural use.

1972 is the date you need to use.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John E
Stan, you've never seen fox squirrels in pairs? In Iowa, I often saw them chasing each other around like crazy.

As for the pines, they're likely one reason CRP didn't help quail much (if at all) in the Southeast. Trees can be planted instead of grass. Didn't happen much here in the Midwest, but I undoerstand that it did in the South.

Larry,

I lived most of my life in rural Iowa. The Red Fox Squirrel of the midwest is a totally different species from the Fox Squirrel of the Southeast.

Southeastern Fox Squirrel:
http://newsstand.clemson.edu/mediarelati...south-carolina/

Also known as Sherman's Fox Squirrel:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman%27s_fox_squirrel

Midwest variety:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_squirrel

The city park in Centerville Iowa had, when I was living there, a large number of the local Fox squirrels with a form of albinism making them blond.

John

Wait a minute! They call those critters "Sherman's squirrels" in the South, and the Rebs haven't wiped them out? Say it ain't so!

But my apology for not knowing that a Yankee fox squirrel and a rebel fox squirrel aren't the same critter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Flintfan

And 10% was about the annual rate of increase from 1987 (after the DDT ban but before the lead shot ban) to 1991, when lead shot was banned.

That is incorrect. DDT was banned for all agricultural use in the United States in 1972, which represented all but a small fraction of it's annual use. True, it was used for very limited "public health" (i.e. flea, bedbug, etc. infestations within dwellings) circumstances until 1987. However that specific usage had very limited, if any, relationship to it's impact on bald eagles compared to it's agricultural use.

1972 is the date you need to use.

Sorry if what I wrote was not clear, FF. I didn't say that 1987 was when DDT was banned; I said that 1987 was "after the DDT ban". Otherwise, I would have written "1987, when DDT was banned."

But we still need to deal with that increase of nearly 40%, from 05 to 06, reflected in FWS's count of breeding pairs.

Last edited by L. Brown; 06/01/18 12:15 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ya'll have confused me. One species fox squirrel or two?

We do have the red variation here in Ga, just not as common as the gray/black in my experience. I have lots of'em at my middle GA farm.

For some reason I don't shoot them though I love to shoot and eat grays. Some guy from up North put an ad somewhere that he'd pay $1,000 to come South and shoot a Fox Squirrel. Bucket list thing I guess. One of my sons took him up on it and he shot one of my Fox Squirrels and paid up!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

A breeding pair of Eagles can disrupt all kinds of road construction. When they were getting ready to put the new Route95 bridge over the Potomac a patient of mine was given the job of evaluating the impact on local wildlife. This site was next to a six or eight lane major highway. He reported to his boss he was amazed by the wildlife in that three acre spot. There was a family of beaver, white tail deer and a large tree which had a large nest in it which most likely was a Eagle nest but could have been an Ospreys nest. It was the dead of winter so not an active nest. His boss directed him to re-evaluate the site in a month or two to “make sure” the nest was not an active one. When he went back in a month the beaver were dead and the tree the nest was it had been cut down. End of wildlife conflict.

Last Eagle I saw on one of my farms was eating a dead Perdue oven stuffer which had died and was thrown out with the manure when they cleaned out the house. There was our national symbol eating a dead chicken like a common buzzard.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I see eagles eating road kill often. In fact, when I see one that is usually what they are doing.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

But we still need to deal with that increase of nearly 40%, from 05 to 06, reflected in FWS's count of breeding pairs.

You need to look at the state by state surveys for those years. 2000 was the last year that every state submitted a survey. After that year it was determined they were no longer needed due to the recovery that had taken place with the bald eagle population.

In 2005 and 2006 states opted to conduct their own surveys again. Some of them did in 2005 and some did in 2006. The raw totals between those years can not be compared because states did not report numbers in both years.

With data after 2000 being inconstantly reported, it is more difficult to determine accurate numbers of breeding pairs after that point.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a funny story that goes with the naming of S. niger, but suffice it to say, you aren't the first to be fooled by the color morphs.

Meanwhile, there is such a thing as a "Squirrel Slam." The grand slam of squirrels... One day, soonish, I intend to complete it.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

You cannot believe all game department's "data", either. In the late '70s and early '80s I supplemented my farm income with trapping and selling hides. I was a land-liner, using my pickup to cover many miles a day taking red and grey fox, bobcat, 'coons and otter. I would see an occasional panther in the early morning. Every year at the trapper's convention the game department would confidently claim there were no panthers in GA. There were then, and there are now.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A few years ago a Florida panther was seen at Ft. Stewart. Not surprising you've seen them up the Savannah River. The river corridor is wild and woolly. Gil

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.