September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (FallCreekFan, fullandfuller, 2 invisible), 413 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,844
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

He sells guns to satisfied customers. He seems to be pretty well in touch with that reality.

JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never found Steve to be unreasonable when it comes to price/dealing.

I may be in the minority, but even with a higher price I would rather pay a bit more and be reasonably assured that I'm getting what I want in a gun than have to go through the hassle of being disappointed and having to send it back.

JM #51851 08/09/07 04:21 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am from Georgia, about 100 miles from Atlanta, where Steve used to be in business before moving to Mississippi. I maybe go back a lot further with Steve than most of you here. I have had a number of "encounters" with Steve over the years, some good, some not. There are others from this general area who go back to those years in Atlanta who would give similar accountings. While in Atlanta, Steve frequented a very large gunshow there, he still comes to Atlanta to this same show, in fact. I bought at least two guns from him at that show, maybe more, that's been a number of years now. At one show we had essentially concluded a trade transaction for one of his guns he had displayed, when suddenly Steve changed his mind. It was his gun, so I guess he was entitled to do that. I won't go into details, they have been debated here three times over the years, except to say that the very bad scene involved his extreme abusive and very loud language and persona, and for absolutely no apparent reason. I could name others from the general area who also had bad dealings with him, but remember this, these dealings were all a number of years ago. Since he left Atlanta for Mississippi, he apparently has found a new backer with deeper pockets. The general concensus at the time of his leaving, burning his bridges behind him as he headed West out I-20, was that there was a problem with his floorplan people, that he was under extreme pressure, and that led to his blow-up. Since that time I have continued to look at his greatly expanded offerings, and am in shock at some of the prices, as others have mentioned. I have bought one gun from him since that time, such a good deal I had to have it. I called his store and dealt with someone else there, bought the gun (a pre-war Merkel 16 ga SxS in need of some TLC) and have been very pleased with it. Photos of it after it's renovation have been posted here in the thread on case coloring after I had Don Menk re color it for me. I continue to watch his listings. I very definitely believe in second chances. I have needed a couple in my life. It appears to me, based on the above testimonies of like minded gun buyers, that maybe
Steve has worked out his problems and has settled down. His general reputation, again based on recountings from others, has also changed. I would say it is now generally good, whereas it did not used to be. So, to put an end to all this dribble, I'll add my vote to all those above as a "Yes," if he has what you want and you can work a deal, go ahead and do so with a good degree of confidence. Now, from where I sit, this kind of story bears more heavily in his favor than might a single transaction from a recent period from one of the above posters.

Sidelock
Sidelock

From time to time I look over the listings but add me to the list to high to even bother to call guys.Nothing against those that don't care how much they pay just not for me.Lots of guns for sale out there some high, some better deals for those who take the time to find them. The thrill of the hunt is part of the fun after all.

Last edited by Dave K; 08/09/07 07:55 PM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
gjw #51885 08/09/07 10:31 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Purdey game gun Steve is selling for $24,500 looks interesting. Does anyone know about this gun?

http://www.stevebarnettfineguns.com/asp-bin/Detail.asp?ID=4455

Thanks.
Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve is in business to make a profit. He also realizes that there is no gain to made if a customer is not happy. I have dealt with MANY sellers both Dealers and amatures over the last 35 years. Most of the dealers were dishonest to a tee. The amatures were, well, not informed.
I would much rather pay more to an honest dealer than try to save a few bucks and get screwed by most of the dealers out there. Before I deal with any new dealer I call those that I trust in the Industry. This has worked well for me.
Both doubles that i purchased from Steve were better than described or the pictures indicated. I do not think I paid more than I would have anywhere else. If you are looking for the proverbial Gun Show find, then Barnett is not for you.
If I purchase from Steve, I have no worries about getting a piece of crap and being out money. I can name three other Dealers that are in that category and that's it.
BTW, if you are interested in the Purdey call Steve and he will answer any question he can. Give him $24.5K and he will send you the gun for your inspection. If you don't like it, you have lost only shipping. That's why I deal with Steve and a few others.-Dick

Last edited by Dick_dup1; 08/10/07 05:12 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's good to remember old Jewish? proverb: "Small profit is better then no profit at all."

gjw #52031 08/10/07 11:08 PM
Boxlock
Boxlock

I don't have a problem with him getting a high price for a gun, if he can get it more power to him. I bought a L.C. Smith from him a couple of years ago though that was described as excellent original condition. When I received the gun you could see where the stock had been broken right in half at the wrist, although very well repaired, it was an obvious break. I sent it back and he refused to admit it had been broken, said I was way to picky. He even refused to pay my return shipping even though it was an obvious incorrect ad. He may have just missed it, but I doubt it. I was left with a very bad experience.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder who restocked it.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi, Well I got that Uggie Grade IV from him and I must say, they (Lonnie Boyd)were very, very helpful. Answered all my questions and gave me a break on the price. When I asked about how they want to be paid, Lonnie said just send a personal check. I asked when they would ship the gun (expecting to wait for the check to clear). He said the same day they get the check. That really surprised me!

Now all I have to do is get the gun and see if it is as good as they say.

So far I've had a very good experience.

Will keep you posted!

All the best!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.