September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (susjwp, Hammergun, SKB, 2 invisible), 202 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,935
Posts550,892
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

If there can possibly be a lighter side to Pearl Harbor it would have to be the story a friend I worked with told. He married a Japanese girl and took her to Hawaii for their honeymoon. While visiting the memorial at Pearl he told his bride about how the planes came in from the sea (I forget the directions) and she said “no’ they came in over the mountains. He then said that his father had been there during the attack and he should know. Whereas she said her father was there as well and he had a much better view.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Glomar Explorer did, indeed, raise a Soviet sub but was intended to get Russian code books, etc. They insisted that the important section broke off and was not recovered (Yeah, right). They also stated that the Soviet bodies were given a proper burial. I never saw anything suggesting an attack. Just another sunken Soviet sub.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
Most all of the Fender Stratocasters are in Tokyo vaults - never to be played again.
Sold my 1960 minty Strat, it went from LAX to Tokyo in a single bound!

Still have my fathers 1st gen Gibson Les Paul accoustic in it's orig tweed patterned hardcase and canvas cover. I can't play a cord, but that's ok. I still like the guitar. Some people have drouled over a few times.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Be sure to keep it tuned-up to A440 Chuck - those necks need that tension.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Red Star Rogue: The Untold Story of a Soviet Submarine's Nuclear Strike Attempt on the U. S., is the name of the book. Quite facinating but other than the location of the Soviet submarine way off its intended course, really nothing else of substance. -Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Correction. Major Charles Sweeney was in the left seat of the B-29 Bock's Car. Sweeney and Bock switched planes for the bombing of Nagasaki. Nagasaki was not the prime target that day as cloud cover prevented the bombing of Kokura. Nagasaki was almost spared that day as well but an opening in clouds provided an opportunity for the drop. I met General Sweeney and heard him speak of the mission back in the late 70's. He had no regrets. B-29 Bock's Car is on display at the USAF Museum near Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton OH.

Fred Bock, aircraft commander of Bock's Car, who delivered the second bomb on Nagasaki three days later, forcing Japan to surrender and obviating the need for an assault on the home islands. K

Sidelock
Sidelock

One large device dropped by accident from high flying B-36? in early 50s. It was over New Mexico, Arizona, or .....can't remeber where, but it was very powerful one. Thank God it didn't detonate eh?

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are indeed correct and it was Sweeny who I talked with. Somewhere I have an autographed photo I paid $5 for of him.
An H-Bomb was dropped over the Carolinas as well as three off the coast of Spain. As the unoffical story goes, one of the bombs was one fail safe device away from actually dentonating and when this was found out, the failsafe mechanisms were changed.
The explosions that resulted were from the chemical explosive lenses that are used to trigger the bomb, going off. In order to have an actual ignition, the Bomb needs a source of neutrons at the moment of ignition without which you just have a chemical explosion. -Dick

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.