I understand the need to fix it to get by in hard times. Wire, tape, metal straps have all been used for stock repairs to get by with. I saw a Crescent which had a replacement firing pin which I suspect started out life as a 16 penny nail. A fix but a crude one. Sometimes it is a rats nest when you get inside these old guns.

But too many things get fixed wrong just because the fixer did not know what he was doing. Think about what he did. He bent the end of the sear thinking it would set the hammer faster since the cocking rod was not bringing the hammer back fully. When that did not work he took a file and shortened the leg of the sear which engages the hammer thinking I guess it was too long now. I doubt the gun ever fired after his repair. The cocking rod was clearly worn down. Bending the end of the sear did not make it work at all. Both repairs in the end made it worse, not better.

Not a "fix" problem but the most common screwed up item on all used guns has to be the recoil pad. At least 1/2 of all recoil pads do not fit the stock. The recoil pad does not match the stock lines. They take a dog leg. But recoil pads can be easily fixed. Internal parts not often as easily.