When I shoot my twist damascus at a club, I am a bit careful not to advertise the fact, but I have been questioned about it. When asked, I am happy to explain that I have fired "x" of rounds through it so far without a problem (now over 700 in less than 6 months), and that I am using Federal's 7/8 oz low pressure (5,000psi) loads. The shotgun I use, while old, is in a very good state of preservation and should anyone wish to check it, I hand it over to them (and several fellow shooters have been rewarded with getting a chance to shoot it).

So far, the folks I have spoken to have not given me a problem. In my limited experience I have only seen frightening mishaps resulting from poorly reloaded ammunition, so based on my limited personal experience the clubs might be better off asking folks who are shooting reloads to leave, than someone who is shooting a vintage shotgun responsibly.

As for back yard proofing, nothing is without risk, but I would not tie my shotgun to a tire and put a heavy load through it to prove anything. I am comfortable sticking to the lower pressure loads, and as was stated above, each of us has to live within our comfort zones.

By the way one of my guest shooters of this shotgun having never shot a two triggered shotgun accidentally pulled both triggers at the same time- in effect subjecting the breach and the stock to a double charge---nothing resulted except a grin on everyone's face (but mine). All that "proved" was that it did not come apart- that time. It does not mean it wouldn't come apart on the 10th or 100th round.

More likely than not my (and our) vintage shotguns have seen a number of rounds of ammunition more powerful than the designers intended. As I understand it, when a shot charge moves down a barrel it flexes the metal, so sooner or later these things wear out--shooting heavy charges (for whatever the reason) can only hasten that day.

Doug