The chamber has a ring of erosion/pitting in it, and the cases expand into it and stick really bad. I'm not sure what to do about that. I tried chucking up a wire brush in a drill and cleaning the hell out of it, but no change.

The ID of the fired case mouth is around 0.32 as I recall. The muzzle is still about 0.308. That seems a pretty excessive difference to me, but... I don't really know much.... There's definitely about an inch or so in front of the chamber where the rifling is gone or very weak, or so it appears when peering down the barrel.

The gunsmith I showed it to said a rechamber to .30-40 Krag would get rid of the bad spot in the chamber and get up closer to good rifling, but that the chamber area seems a bit thin for that.

Then recently I read about relining (which I'd previously thought they'd only do on rimfires, but apparently low-pressure centerfires are fair game too).

I just can't seem to figure out what to do, heh. I guess I could "just shoot it", but I hate to have to break it open over my knee to get the cases to extract. That'll break something eventually I'd think.....