June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (azgreg, Mike Harrell, canvasback, 1 invisible), 292 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,636
Posts547,238
Members14,433
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
The .410 hunting thread got me thinking about how we try to make one bore or gauge do what the one above it does. Like a 3" 20 trying to do what a 2 3/4" 12 can easily do. Or a 3" .410 doing what a 28 can easily do.

So my question is, are 3" shells really needed or should we just move up one size? It is not like we don't have other options in most cases. It is sad to hear guns lament being left behind while we take out others just because we have 3" shells.

Not that I would ever admit it to my wife but I could cover everything with just a 12 and a .410. Half ounce up to well more than 1 1/2 ounce, all covered by two guns. It is just too simple. Thank goodness she never will learn it from me.

I was curious as to why the one "above" the 20 was a 12, with the 16 being skipped. I realize 14 ga guns exist, but the 16 is still in common enough use to count as the next one up from a 20. My 16's were all in the safe, and thus there were no hurt feelings.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike, it is simple numbers. 16's just are not that common any more. I have them and others do as well, but 98-99% of ammo sales are not in 16 gauges. The 12 has to be 70+% of ammo sales, then 20 are 20%. The 28 might be 3-4%, the .410 is another 4-5%.

As to the 20-16-12 difference. The 16 is stuck in a too small gap. A highly efficient 20 can duplicate a middle range 12 shell and the entire range of 16's. The 16 can be loaded up to 12 middle range range or down to 20 but not that well unless you reload. There are still a very limited number of factory shells to choose from. I did not mean to hurt any 16's feelings and please accept my apologies if I did.

Stan, I agree about shot as there is very little difference between 7, 7 1/2 and 8/'s in high quality shot. If I had to shoot a open choke .410 hunting, I would leave it at home, period. Like you I like choke and am not afraid of it in the .410 which is why I figured you were so concerned with convergence and POI in your guns earlier. If I wanted a big ass pattern I'd bring a 12. I find tight chokes, in a .410 are more workable, than many think. It is all about knowing where your POI is, getting a decent pattern density, with a workable size pattern.

You don't get good 20-24" wide .410 patterns, even with a 3" shell. Too much center density or the pattern just is too weak every where. Again with the trade offs. 2 1/2" ammo can give you 15-18" patterns with with enough density, you might get a little more with your 3" shell's heavier payload, but I have not had that much success getting that much of a wider pattern, without loosing center density.

A 3" shell, in a Skeet choke is not the answer. Been there and tried that. I think you have to drive that 11/16 or 3/4 ounce payload faster than 1125-1150 fps, in a tighter choke, than you are doing. With 300-mp, Remington hulls, Remington SP410 wads you might be able to do it but more likely at 11/16 than 3/4. But there is no published data so you need to create your own. I have loaded several loads in the past and had them pressure and velocity tested. If you are into uncharted loads, test ones both high and low, once you know the pressure is in a safe range you can try multiple loads in between, knowing you are safe. Then it is more about patterns, than velocity, after a point.

I've loaded 2 1/2", 1/2 ounce loads, which chronograph at almost 1425 fps. The patterns got better, when I backed them down into the 1250-1275 fps range but went bad again (too much center density) much below 1200, (1225-1150). I call it the sweet spot of velocity. I suspect you might get a 11/16 ounce, 3" load to push 1250 fps, without too much pressure and a decent pattern. I don't know if you can with a 3/4 ounce load. If not you best load is your best load, even if it is not what you set out to load.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon- Like I said, mine were all asleep in the safe- no harm, no foul. Maybe one reason so few 16 ga shells are sold is cuz we're stingy, and like to roll our own. It's been five to seven years since I bought any new shells in 16.

Also, as has been bashed around before, you can stuff a ton o' lead in the smaller bores, but what happens to the patterns? Also, the most vicious kicking gun I ever had the displeasure to shoot was a 20. Reminded me of the short time I owned a 375 H&H.

Anyway, good thoughts, and I always enjoy your posts.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was born and raised a Farmer. I have been a firearms enthusiast from my first gun (a SxS dart gun and a wind-up rabbit) at age three. I was assigned pest control duties at age 7 to keep the rat, pigeon, starling and sparrow numbers at a minimum in the out-buildings. I started hunting on my own at age 9 with a .22lr. At age 11 I was given my first shotgun, a 12ga, 2-3/4", Coast-to-Coast pumpgun. I took every type of legal game with that gun. By my 16th year the short stock was making every shot taken a pain as my thumb would bust me in the nose. I bought my first gun that year, 1976. It was a Savage/Valmet 20ga, O/U. It was my only shotgun for the following ten years.

Where this is leading? I have never bought into the magnum mentality. If you can not hit your target; more shot, more velocity, and thus more recoil will not improve your condition. I have fired less than one box of three inch shells in my lifetime. I don't own a rifle labeled "Magnum".

Disclaimer: I have never been a habitual Waterfowl Hunter. Had I been, a 12ga would have come sooner.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well written article on chamber lengths by Terry Wieland in the latest issue of Gray’s Sporting Journal (August 2018).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JohnE
I have never bought into the magnum mentality. If you can not hit your target; more shot, more velocity, and thus more recoil will not improve your condition. I have fired less than one box of three inch shells in my lifetime. I don't own a rifle labeled "Magnum".

I don't consider myself as having bought into the magnum mentality either. The term magnum, as applied to ammunition, is rather vague anyway.............mostly hype. It certainly doesn't necessarily mean higher velocity. I certainly am not a proponent of trying to make super-duper hotrod loads out of all standard ones. This project of trying to create a 3/4 oz. nickel plated load for the .410s is not a crutch to make me a better shot, in order to improve my condition. It is being done simply because that load cannot be bought anywhere, and it's fun creating it. Winchester has been offering a 3/4 oz. regular lead shot loading for many years, and they shoot very well out of some of my .410s.

I tip my hat to the man who is a superb wing shot. I care not whether he is using something that has had the "magnum" label attached to it. If he can shoot a "magnum" really well, he can probably wipe your eye with a shortie load, too. But, sadly, many cannot, and think bigger is always better.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 07/22/18 07:00 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep, bigger is better won. When I mentioned three-inch Model 500 SKB 20 ga in starter gun-thread, length-distinction intended it's there only if the shooter felt it was needed. Lighter guns are important at each end of life's engagement.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With the forced change to non-tox, 3" shells came in to their own. Especially in 20ga. Bismuth and the other steel substitutes help but are expensive and still not up to lead unless you spring for the heavy weights like TSS or Heavy-shot.

High speed steel in 3" number twos bring down prairie mallards and big Canadas with authority in 12ga or 20ga. High speed steel kicks a lot though. I've never been recoil shy until lately. Could be I'm getting into the wrong end of 'life's engagement'...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

More like this recoil is not required to do the job than gun-shy, Geo? I wouldn't own hard-kicking when there are lots of shotguns, rifles and ammunition to provide satisfactory results without it. My experience on geese with 20ga Bismuth 3" 1 1/8, 1250fps No 4 relates to yours. The sight of it has always taken away recoil, and I'm really getting up there..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ryman Gun Dog
When the leaves are down I use my GreatGrandfather's Special Ordered 20 Gauge 1889 #2 L.C. Smith. Which some thieving fool, had permanent full length 28 Gauge inserts, custom installed by Briley long ago. We Just recovered this stolen gun a few years ago, with John Houchins help.

Ryman Gun Dog, could you elaborate on this gun please? This is a Syracuse gun? Do you know what year Smith began offering 20 bore?

Anyone else who can add color, please chime in.

- NDG

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.