KY Jon,

In my particular case I like different Gauge double guns, for different purposes and different habitats. Habitat changes as the hunting season progresses, and so the double guns change with it.

In the early part of Grouse season when the habitat is like the Viet Nam Jungle here in Pa, Wva and NY I have been known to use my light 12 Gauge #3 L.C. Smith double gun with it's 26" barrels, and Fiocchi 2 3/4 shells, @1300 FPS or my 1920's LeFever/ Ithaca, on it's 16 Gauge frame, to shoot thru the heavy foliage, 8's under the 1st trigger, 6's under the 2nd, giving me a good chance to put down the escaping Grouse. This usually happens for a very short time, maybe 2 times at the beginning of the season. No 3" shells used in either of these double guns.

After that I use all my 16 Gauge Pre 1913 L.C. Smith double guns, and my 1889 J.P. Sauer bird gun, with 2 1/2" SpredR loads. I love these double guns in the Grouse woods. They have become an extension of my body.

Later when the leaves are mostly down I use my 20 Gauge H&R Double Hammer Gun, and my Grandfather's Special ordered pre 13 L.C Smith Silver Breech, with SpredR loads. Both these American Classics are a joy to both carry and shoot.

When the leaves are down I use my GreatGrandfather's Special Ordered 20 Gauge 1898 #2 L.C. Smith. Which some thieving fool, had permanent full length 28 Gauge inserts, custom installed by Briley long ago. We Just recovered this stolen gun a few years ago, with John Houchins help. I use SpredR loads most of the time in this custom made L.C. Smith 28. This beautiful little gun with it's incredible Kraus engraving has 28 Gauge 3" Chambers and I use it for jump shooting Wood Ducks from time to time also. During this time I also use the modern L.C. Smith 28 Gauge with B&P shells or SpredR's.

I like to use different double guns at different times.

Ryman Gun Dog

A few of the bird guns I talked about in the post.
The LeFever/Ithaca 12 Gauge on it's 16 Gauge Frame, on Top far right, under it the 1898 #2, under it the pre 13, 16 Gauge L.C Smith and last the 1889 J.P. Sauer 16 Gauge German Bird Gun.

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; 07/24/18 12:57 PM.