Originally Posted By: KY Jon
I also know you shoot a lot of 3" .410, where I shoot a lot of 2 1/2". Understanding the difference is 20-30% at best, not the 50% the increase in payload suggest. Pellets just wont distribute perfectly. I have to limit range more than you do. But in a .410 what does that mean in range? Five yards or eight yards max. On my best day a .410 is a 30-33 yards option, using 1/2 ounce, in a full choke, my average day 23-28 yards. I don't think I'd get more than a couple more yards with a 3".

No argument from me on your reasoning, buddy. I approach it from a little different perspective. I think I get 5+ yards more out of the 3" load, but maybe for a bit different reason. As I said earlier, I grew up shooting 3" .410 loads, and quickly learned their range limit in my J C Higgins Tenite stocked double. When I came back around to the little guns some years ago, for doves, I naturally began using 3" factory loads. My grandson was ready to begin his first season on doves with a Stoeger double 410. I decided to limit myself to one for "his sake", to show him the range limitations and that the little gun could really do the job on doves. We ended up, one day, using up our few 3" loads and only had 1/2 oz. loads to finish our afternoon. I was admittedly surprised at how well it knocked them down, but in reflection realized that almost none of the doves were DOA, but many were floppers and runners. Going back to 3" loads the next time, and comparing them to some more 1/2 oz. 2 1/2"ers, it was very apparent to me that I had way more dishragged doves with the heavier loads..................same size shot.

So, rather than hoping to extend range drastically with the magnum loads, I am using them to help ensure more DOA doves in the sunflowers, peanut and corn fields. My Cady was killed by a truck a little over a year ago, and I've not replaced her. So, it is incumbent upon me to help myself find every dove I knock down. As you know, they can run a few yards and hide amazingly well in a sunflower field with bare ground underneath.

Interesting discussion, but I'd sure rather be shooting them than talking about them!! 41 days and a wake-up...........

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.