My take is this.

We live in an age of hyper-accurate CNC machining, and of CAD-produced machinery and processes which can put forth a degree of repetitive quality per price point that is parabolic in comparison to yesteryear.

And while these are amazing technological advances, in some ways they mean the death of authenticity in many creative human endeavors. (For instance, a computer can recreate a Monet...and make it even better, without a single little drip or odd brush stroke.) As such, and rather ironically, each technological leap forward is less and less impressive by degrees...even as it may be "better" in some measure. (A space-age recoil pad that absorbs 6% more impulse!!!)

This is why a Purdey from 1888 blows me away...and one from 2018 is practically boring.

This new Beretta is striking to me. Yes, there's nothing "new" about a side leaver. But the lines are new enough that I think they're taking a risk in moving away from their very tried and true designs.

And THAT's the most impressive thing a company can do to distinguish itself in this age. Everything else...fit and finish, exacting tolerances...we should EXPECT those things. Technology makes them quite easy as long as there is a man wealthy enough to pay for it.

But new designs are not easy. And ESPECIALLY so when your entire reputation is steeped in your old tried and true designs.

Is it Earth shattering? No. But I'm quite impressed. I think this took some balls.

- NDG