Only Side lever opener I have is a Birmingham proofed W Richards, likely made by J P Clabrough. This is a pre 1887 back action hammer 12ga with left side lever. I keep this gun because it belonged to my Grandfather, it is a non shooter. I have of course handled it & tried it for feel etc. The thumb piece for this lever lies just enough below the thumb as to prevent it being hit. A mere drop of the thumb & it is there. Total movement of the lever's extremity from bolted to open is less than 3/8 inch & takes hardly no effort at all. It is certainly easier & quicker than any top lever I have ever used & a top lever is basically what I have used for some 65+ years.

My conclusion is that anyone who would not like this side lever has likely never tried one & therefore knows not one thing about which they speak. Amazing that the lowly firm of Clabrough figured out the lever should be on the left while a prestigious firm as Woodward didn't.

"I mean, count how many there are compared to top lever guns at any time in history and figure out how wonderful they were. NOT!"
Count how many Crescent Arms or Stevens Doubles were made in comparison to Purdeys. What have you proved?? Sometimes its Lonely at the Top"

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra