Beans,

Well that didn't take long. Only a 6 day break? I will entreat you to please take a breath on this forum. Lots of guys know a heck of a lot of stuff.

On to the subject matter...

The tests referred to above were conducted years ago, published in the DoubleGun Journal by Sherman Bell and Tom Armbrust, the series entitled "Finding Out For Myself."

They were extensive, and included all types and grades of both Damascus and fluid steel, including Krupp as I recall. You would will find it enlightening to read that series in it's entirety before making statements replete with absolutes.

Krupp was excellent, but Bell's tests showed the best of ALL types of barrels pretty much failed at the same pressure ranges.

I own Lefevers with Krupp barrels, and with Damascus. So long as I inspect the Damascus for fissures, I trust them about equally. The latter are certainly prettier.

Highest grade Lefevers offered Kilby or Whitworth fluid steel, Krupp went no higher than grade B...perhaps some A's.

As I recall there is also Birmingham proof house data which places both of those steel types surviving loads higher than Krupp and others.

I feel like Drew Hause may have something to share on that.

- NDG