Hi all,

I've been experimenting with various different SXSs this year. AYA, Tate, SIACE, M21, Beretta 486, and others. I absolutely love the styling and form of the SXS compared to the over-under. However, the one thing I do not like about the SXSs is the shooting them. I've had them fitted and they shoot where I am looking, but the feel, pointability, recoil, and sight picture are just wrong to me. I'm used to shooting competition over-unders and I understand that SXSs are a completely different beast.

I recently discovered how wonderful Perazzi shotguns are. My favorite is the MX8 platform. Such a beautiful shotgun and shoots like a dream with no recoil and very natural feeling in the hand. I didn't realize Perazzi also made SXSs until I seen the DC12 model. I had the opportunity to shoot a newer Perazzi DC12 DC3 recently and it was shocking how similar it was to the MX8. I had no idea I was shooting a SXS when using it at 5-stand and sporting clays. It felt, moved, and sight picture was identical to an over-under.

I really think the Winchester M21 was ahead of its time with the stepped rib, which gets your eyes out of the barrels. I believe the sight picture is my major problem with all traditional SXSs, followed by feel when mounted. The Winchester M21 and Perazzi DC12 brings up the rib so the sight picture looks just like an over-under. The M21 was also ahead of its time with its forend, which protected your left hand from the hot barrels. Trying to shoot a semi-beaver or splinter forend at competition or tournament is not really possible and very uncomfortable. The barrels become way too hot and very difficult to contend with. The M21 feel a bit short when it comes to the ergonomics of its stock, grip, and pointability.

The Perazzi DC12 solves all of the above problems in a lovely SXS configuration. The DC12 takes the stepped rib, full beaver tail forend, and adds the Perazzi stock with adjustable comb, pistol grip, and drop-out trigger group. I spent a day with the Perazzi DC12 and MX8 shooting them interchangeably between stations without having to worry about which one I am shooting. My scores didn't suffer a bit and both felt nearly identical. The only major difference is that the MX8 weights a little less than the DC12. My DC12 weights in at 8 pounds and 14 ounces. Shooting 1oz 1300fps FITASC loads had absolutely no recoil with the DC12.

I'm really happy that the Perazzi MX8 and DC12 use the exact same trigger group, springs, and firing pins. I can consolidate my maintenance parts for both platforms. Here are some shots of my Perazzi DC12. I'm very happy with it and I'm able to shoot it like there's no tomorrow, which I wasn't able to see with my other SXS adventures.

The engraving was done by Angelo Galeazzi's son, Fausto Galeazzi.

Last edited by dhanks; 10/01/18 07:16 PM.