September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (shrapnel, Walter C. Snyder, Argo44), 258 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,925
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
It astounds me that these are considered classics. I certainly don't see anything to like in them, but obviously we all have different tastes.

'Historically significant' a better term?

I didn't like them either... at first.

It took a while for my horizons to expand and my appreciation for the A5 to develop. They aren't for everyone.

I also like 1100's, Win 50's, 391's, and Benellis.

There are plenty of doubles here too. It's a wide world out there and everything has something to offer the curious.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a Remington M11. It was a direct copy of the A5. Maybe it wasn't done very well, but it was a heavy, clumsy, clanky, and ugly thing that did not point well at all and jammed whenever the temperature was below 40 degrees or within 2 ft of a single grain of sand. It had all the ergonomics of a broken pick ax so far as I was concerned.

While I am not a big 1100 fan, I can't think of a single thing that the Remington 1100 would not excel relative to the Winchester.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)
=>/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
I had a Remington M11. It was a direct copy of the A5. Maybe it wasn't done very well, but it was a heavy, clumsy, clanky, and ugly thing that did not point well at all and jammed whenever the temperature was below 40 degrees or within 2 ft of a single grain of sand. It had all the ergonomics of a broken pick ax so far as I was concerned.

While I am not a big 1100 fan, I can't think of a single thing that the Remington 1100 would not excel relative to the Winchester.

I kind of agree with you on the M-11. It's no A5.

I do have a an 11 'Sportsman' that solved some of the weight and handling issues. It's reliable and handles reasonably well. Browning did not let Remington use the two piece carrier or the magazine cutoff.

Remington's 'machine blueing' process was very good, but of course the Sportsman has that cartoon like 'engraving'. Ducks with lips.

I bought it for $250 at a gun show only because it has a factory installed Polychoke.

Now that is stylish at the skeet club!

Damn thing shoots well though...

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I grew up shooting a M11 20 ga. at doves and quail for several years. I was about age 11 when I got it and shot it until I was 16. I killed innumerable doves with that gun. Though I never shot a A5 at a bird in my life, that I can recall, I have handled many of them.

I don't recall ever noticing any difference in how the M11 handled vs the A5. Are y'all saying one handles well and the other not? That's hard for me to imagine.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The first 25 I shot at Skeet was with my Model 11 F-grade with Cyl barrel......it weren't no dog!!!!! A Remington collector ended up with it.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a D grade 11 for a short period. It was a factory Skeet gun which had a Cutts compensator installed. They, Cutts, were every where at one time. Shot Skeet with it but no birds. Bought it because it had such pretty wood on it. But previous owner was so short he could run under a Shetland pony. LOP was 12 1/2” and even with thick pad it would be way to short for me. Sold it to another short armed fellow who I doubt ever shot it.

Still it had a great stock of wood in it. Was told the original owner who sold it to me called a Remington rep or shooting rep and asked him to pick out the wood for him. If nice he’d take him Rock fishing, (Stripe Bass fishing), on the Chesapeake bay. Hope they caught a boat load because he got a nice blank. Supposed they did. Back then in the late 50’s or 60’s we could catch as many rock fish as you wanted in the Fall.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent the design is not for nimrods with rubber duckies

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:

Are you getting your guns mixed up? Both Rem & Win made a model 11. The Rem 11 was built under Browning patents & is essentially a Browning. The Win 11 was made to try to get around Browning patents so they could build a successful autoloader. The W11 did not have a bolt handle. There was a knurled ring about the center of the barrel & the barrel & bolt assembly had to be "Pumped" back to eject any unfired shells, rather than unlocking the bolt & just pulling the bolt back.

My personal feelings always were that a sweet 16 had about as good a feel (& better than most) as any single barrel magazine gun I ever felt. The few times I shot one I could shoot them plenty good. That "Hump" did not bother me at all. I just never shot one enough I guess to get used to that Double Shuffle of the barrel flopping around like a Chicken with its head wrung off.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the Winchester Model 11 was commonly known as "the widow maker".

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

He's likely referring to the Winchester Model 50 in my post.

The 50 is an interesting design, and they were beautifully made.

As far as a Rem 11 vs. a real A5, Browning finally saw the light and made the 'Lightweight' guns and those are the ones with decent dynamics.

There is quite a difference between a standard weight 16 and a Sweet.

The one that was under appreciated in my book was the magnum 20.

If you close your eyes, and have someone hand you in succession a sweet 16 and a mag 20 you can't tell the difference (no fair feeling up the barrel).

The mag 20 really will reliably shoot any 20 gauge shell.

You can't say that for the 1100 magnum 20.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.