Update with some product home testing notes:

Firstly, the guns I intend to travel with are a 20 ga. Parker Repro and, a 16 ga L.C. Smith Ideal with 28 bbls. I offer this for scale and dimension qualities only,, and they are my favorite grouse & woodcock guns wink

Second, I have scrapped the idea of using hard case packed in luggage. This would only provide for traveling with one gun and, the myriad of potential issues with TSA and baggage handlers.

So, I went to Cabelas and after getting fairly minimal input from staff, brought home a Pelican model 1720 case and a Cabalas house branded molded tactical take-down case. They advertise the Cabelas case as made in USA and the gentleman helping me said he believes it is made by Pelican. Who really knows, but its evident where they cut costs and more on that in a bit. Cabelas case is a little more than 20% cheaper than the Pelican 1720 (retail) however it is slightly deeper dimensionally by about 1.5. I liked this aspect as I usually pack 2 guns and it accepts them with an inch buffer around all parts and edges. The negative is that the foam is of lesser quality (small tears from sharp edges of action and lugs with just light bouncing on carpet when all closed up. Also, the ends of the case do not close tight even with guns inside and all latches tight. There are no latches on the ends of either of these two models. I got movement of barrels and forends in the Cabelas case when lightly banging it on a carpeted floor. No bueno! Also, and Im not too sure how important this really is but, the pressure release mechanism on the Cabelas case is not the same as the Pelican and staff could not confirm if it was auto or manual..

As for the Pelican 1720, I put same two guns broken down but kept forends off and out of the case. It took a good bit of pressure to close up and latch the case but is doable and will be fine at the airport. Same light bounce-safely test on carpet and absolutely no movement of barrels or separate action/butt ends. However, I couldnt position both broken down guns with a full inch buffer from all parts but a, able to maintain at least an inch from all outer edges of the case interior. I can place clean chamois cloth around both sets if barrels for protection against any potential movement with no issues. There is probably enough room for the detached forends but I left them out and can secure them in my luggage safely if I go with the Pelican which im leaning towards...

Apologies for the long tome and lack of pictures but I would truly appreciate any additional feedback on my case selections and hope this is of some use to others that are contemplating the purchase of a travel case.

Best,
Jerry