Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a cursory inspection, but H&H sources their cases from Huey in Kansas City, Missouri? So a cobbled together case & case label printed from the internet. From the images I don't see evidence the tubeset(s) are chopperlump.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I forgot to note that there's one phrase I really fancy:

"Now in a nearly-new state of preservation"

So currently it is in a steady state & as new? Might need to tidy up those screw-heads before even considering to making that statement?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Its an old gun thats been redone. Probably made in Birmingham anyway

Sidelock
Sidelock

That gun is shiny. Too bad it shines in all the wrong places. Clearly restored by a non British trained person. Checkering should be flat top. Case colors just wrong. Proof marks dont agree with the narrative. If fact nothing much does. Its just a shooter now and the buyer needs to price it that way. But a sucker is born every day and someone might pay for ay too much. Just wont be me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Might need to tidy up those screw-heads before even considering to making that statement?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

I was thinking that several of those screw heads had already been tidied up, judging by the width of the slots. Just not "tidied up" enough to remove all of the damage. The poor fitting between some of the metal parts makes a strong argument for not sending out a vintage gun for case coloring. The garish colors are certainly vibrant, but they don't hide the washed-out engraving. I doubt the gun left the Holland shop that way originally, and kinda doubt they'd let it leave their shop that way after a 1992 redo.

I am wondering what that little dowel repair is in picture # 58? I don't know enough about Hollands to comment about a lot of things, but am curious if the detail around the keels at the muzzles is correct? The forend latch lever should probably close flush with its' housing. Some of the checkering is flat topped, so we can give the restorer partial credit. The barrel blacking looks uneven, and worse than my very first attempt at rust bluing. Maybe I could get a job as a blacker at Holland.

Say what you will about the seller, but they certainly provided enough photos to make a judgement about their optimistic description. Now we will see if excited auction bidders let their emotions over-rule their eyeballs.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The screws can't be made right, considering the width of the slots. The hand screw is especially bad. The hinge pin is a mess. I would insist on some paper on this gun, paper on every phase of the redo. The stock can be made 14" or better with a proper pad, if there is a proper pad of a gun of this era. How about those colors.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Aside from the poor quality 'restoration',,it's a bad example of what the name Holland & Holland would generally bring to most peoples mind.

The overall fit of the metal to metal is bad,,and you can't blame it all on re-CCH. Wood to metal fit is in the same zone in many places,,it is an H&H after all.

The engraving quality is fair at most. It doesn't even match from part to part in the scroll format.
The simple border as around the lock plates can be just that but it should be cut with precision just as well. Not a sloppy quick go around just to have something there.
The wedge of scroll on the bottom ahead of the trigger plate is way off center (Pic 61) the engraver tried to compensate for the right leaning pattern by adding a couple extra medium size scrolls to the pattern on the left side.

It all reminds me too much of a cheaper Birmingham gun or even a Belgian made gun.
The name changed and H&H added. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.
Even Spanish guns have been made into 'real' H&H shotguns,,name, proofs and all of it.

The H&H name engraved on the lock plates isn't anything of quality lettering when view close up. A quick lettering job with tilted letters. A handy space in the pattern for it though.

The frame is not symetrical in shape in some areas. Most easily seen in the pic #29 where the top tang narrows right about at the point where the top lever ends. One side not nearly matching the other.
Maybe on a Belgian Beauty but I'd not expect it on a London.

The London proofs on the water table near the back by the standing breech. The proof marks themselves not quite looking like London strikes,,especially the Crown/GP.
The front end of the table clean of marks. But something appears in the blue streak on the right side in the pic72.
An old #, or marking?? or maybe a fuzz ball in the pic!

There was something, another mark or letter, under the 'S' in 'Tons' in pic #75. Two parallel bars nicely get hidden (almost) by the curves of the S.
Those bbl proofs look hokey to me anyway. There are lots of sets of Brit proof mark stamps around, just like everything else.

..But the firing pins are Gold Plated,,and the paper Label says what it is,,,so it must be a good one.

Just some things I see. Maybe I've just seen too much crap go on to believe anything is real anymore..

added,,The screws can be made right that's no problem. It's just standard work,, but did they have to tweak every last one of them

Last edited by Kutter; 11/01/18 11:54 AM. Reason: added
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack Rowe once posed a question to me: "Hey Joe, do you know why the sun never sets on the British Empire"?

"No, Jack, why"?

"Simply because it doesn't trust them"!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
The screws can't be made right, considering the width of the slots. The hand screw is especially bad. The hinge pin is a mess. I would insist on some paper on this gun, paper on every phase of the redo. The stock can be made 14" or better with a proper pad, if there is a proper pad of a gun of this era. How about those colors.

You cant even see the hand pin. The hand pin is underneath the trigger guard tang. The only part of the hand pin you can see is the end of it thats filed flush with the rear of the top tang, hardly an indication that its a mess. The Breech pin is underneath the top lever/or top tang. That is called the breech pin.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I called Holland and Holland years ago about restoring a well used 8 Bore Holland double rifle. They would do the restoration EXCEPT they said that they NEVER redo the case colors. Too much chance of warping. Holland would never have left a gun in that condition leave their shop! IF that gun was redone by Hollands, what do you think it cost? New barrels and restoration over $20,000.00 I'll bet! Not done at Holland's shop!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.