Ted;
For a number of years, I shot squirrel with a lowly Mossberg 42-MC bolt action rifle with a 7-shot detachable magazine (most incorrectly call a clip). From a good rest at about what I considered my normal squirrel shooting range I could put those .22 LR's about touching each other. Best it would do with shorts was 4-6 inches, which is simply not accurate enough to kill squirrels. I could never figure out why & I know that lots of rifles chambered for the LR will also shoot shorts with good accuracy, but this one wouldn't. The magazine had a screw ending with a rod you threaded in from the bottom as a spacer to adapt it for the shorter cartridge. I had foolishly taken it on trade for something. The value was so low the only way I could realize a return was to Shoot It. As long as I stuck to the LR's if a missed a squirrel it was purely My Fault. A co-worker of mine at the time was an instructor for a youth shooting club & he bought Canuck 22's in standard velocity to use at an indoor range. He would let me have them at his cost, as I recall they were about $6.00 a carton at that time. None of our local stores even stocked any standard velocity cartridges back then, many still don't.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra