June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, Hammergun, CJF, Licensed to kill, BGlass, 1 invisible), 227 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,630
Posts547,150
Members14,430
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller,

You may be correct. I can not imagine trying to regulate 2 barrels out to 1,000 yards or beyond. That is if each of those segements on the rib represent 100 yards.

Pete

Geno Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That's impossible, Miller, 'cause all open or optic sights on DR are allways regulated for one of the barrels, usually left one, only. The second barrel could only cross the first barrel at some distance 100-200 yards for example.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know how the marks on the barrel could be used as yardage for the point of impact as they all appear to be equally spaced. The projectile would drop much faster as the range increased and the velocity decreased, the marks would have to be farther apart to compensate. I believe it must have something to do with a range finder of some sort. Maybe shoots mortars or harpoons. There would have to be a level of some kind to be used as a range finder.
Rich

Last edited by Rd Show; 08/19/07 09:29 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

the escutcheon decorated with the burning basket on top of a raised post with a ladder looks like an old military Signal Corps type of insignia.

The sliding raised sight used as some form of a rangefinder system also seems to make sense.

JMHO

Courtesy of a WOMBAT
* (Waste Of Money Brains And Talent)

YMMV
Sidelock
Sidelock

If Naval, could be used to fire a line over to another ship.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it is some kind of a blind (like a tree stand) at the top of the pole. A blind would make more sense with the boar. The "flames" are leaves, similar to what is in front of the boar.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Or a crows nest like on a ship. Although its a poor example of either one. Could be used like a spirit level. The vertical line on the sight could could be used to keep the barrels level. like a plumb line. This thing could keep one up all knight trying to figure it out. Interesting. Rich

Sidelock
Sidelock

The engraving on the shield is very poor. Notice how the lines for the border are overrun, mismatched, etc.

I flipped it around. It appears to me to be a hunter's high stand with branches around the top to hide the hunter. Perhaps even the gun sticking out of the left side of the stand. Certainly does not seem to be the same hand that engraved the top rib. From what little I was able to find on the net, E. Bond was active around 1780 or so. Which means this was originally a flintlock? Does anyone know if the firm continued until the mid 1800's?

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Piper don't you think it might be hard to regulate the left barrel to any distance with a sight that's not centered over it. Ever saw a side mounted scope on a 94 Winchester ?

The engraving of the hog looks peculiar to me. I think it obvious the engraving of the hog and the shield was not done by the maker.

The gun is a 'plane Jane' with some fancy rib engraving.

I still don't see a stand....I see a fire in a basket and on the 'tool box' on the butt stock I see a strange looking hOg.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you are looking at a long range 'boar rifle', one built to be shot from the stand depicted. The stand probably had a locus some distance from the woods or perhaps in a quite large meadow surrounded by forest. I agree that the sight may be a type of range finder, in that the projectiles striking point from the stand was probably known for each graduation through testing. It would be most interesting to learn who commissioned the rifle. It looks like E. Bond had regulated, or at least built the sight blades to be filed to 400 yards. I expect there was some serious trial and error shooting taking place before it was used for long range boar shooting from the stand, but that the owner did just that. This of course is speculation on my part, but looking at the rifle its hard to come to any other conclusion.

The fences are as nicely done as any I've seen for function, lovely simple execution. Looking at how the action is chiseled, I think it unlikely that it was ever a flintlock.

Long range rifle game shooting has always been an area of interest & I think the person who commissioned this rifle had the property, the means and the interest to seriously pursue it. Just my thots.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.